Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wyoming Black Hills

Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wyoming Black Hills

Does anyone know of any good places to stay in NEwcastle or Sundance Wyoming. I plan on hunting the black hills in wyoming this year before heading to SD.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 PM

Default RE: Wyoming Black Hills

there's a comfort inn right in sundance where i stayed. nice you going on public land?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 PM

comfort inn in sundance
Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

I stay in my camper or a wall tent in the national forest price is right.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM

I went out there the last to years and stayed right in the National Forest in a Pick-up Camper. I love hunting out there. Got one out there this previous Spring. This year Texas. Its free to stay in the N-F. And deffinetly a gas saver then going from Hotel to woods. In N-F your in the woods! Only bad part is last year the day we got there. It snowed about 3ft of snow the day before. So it was tough going. But in 3 days it was all gone. Persistance pays off out there. If you go too soon, There hanging out on the Private land. The number one thing I learned with thos gobblers. Is, I called one morning at a gobbler 200 yards away in a gully, He hammered hard. I hunted him for 6 days in same spot and no matter what I tired he did something diffrent. I wound up getting a gobbler to respond on private land about a mile away. No matter what call...He hammered. So I hit the call hard. In most guys terms to much calling. I shut-up and walked to camper. Went back out 3 hours later. I set up and just gt situated where I heard him and he gobbled on his own. called him right up to me! Same thing happend with my buddy the year before.
Good luck out there. Fun country
Old 01-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to be hunting on the black hills national forest. I hunted south dakota last year but you can only kill one bird, that took one day. To expand the trip i am hunting the wyoming side also.

Is there any cabins to rent around sundance or newcastle? I would love to camp but usually they have the water turned off that time of year. I'' keep the comfort inn in mind. thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 PM

I dont know of anywhere to stay but we hunted for deer in the black hills this year. I would go to the part of the national forest north of sundance if I were you. We saw turkeys everywhere up there. I got within 5 yards of a flock of jakes and I was standing in a forest service road. That's where I'd go unless you have somewhere else planned. Good luck on the hunt.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm thinking of going to the Black Hillsin April. Is it best to start on opening day on the 14th or are there advantages going later on in the season?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

NJ Longbeard,Early in the saeson the birds are usually really henned up and there is allot more birds on private ground.As the season progresses the birds move farther into the national forest.That being said I have managed to tag out in the opening two weeks depending on when I make it there.