Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 how do I get my girlfriend to shoot a bird >

how do I get my girlfriend to shoot a bird

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do I get my girlfriend to shoot a bird

Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Default RE: how do I get my girlfriend to shoot a bird

ORIGINAL: B.C. Hunter

I would just get her around the sport as much as you can with out pushing it on her. If you can get her together with any other girls that hunt it helps. But be careful whatyou ask for. If she starts hunting your cost just doubled. If your going to alaska she wants to go. out of state hunts with the buddies- good luck she going to want to go. It's nice but can get pricey when booking your dream hunts "FOR TWO"
this is exactly how i feel about my husband. if i say i want to buy a bow, so does he.....if i want a new fishing pole, so does he.....i just started telling him to get a second job like i have. then he can afford all the hunting and fishing equipment he wants.[:-]
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm working on getting my girlfriend into hunting as well. A couple years ago she got her first fish ever with me by her side coaching (out of a kayak no less) and now she outfishes me most of the time. She started playing with my turkey calls last season and now I'm trying to convince her to come out scouting with me. I've been talking about it, but she's not excited in the least. She complains about the cold and waking up early. But I think the closer it gets to April and the more excited I get, she'll be more inclined to come out.
As far as keeping hobbies seperate goes, she's my best fishing buddy and we both have a blast every time out.
-- B
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

make it fun, interesting,and compliment her on her progress. make your first few trips into the woods brief and productive go where you know your going to see and or get birds even if its a guided hunt. if she likes to camp ( mine does ) rent a cabin and make it romantic and comfortable. if you add all the ambiance, it will be a no brainer the next time you ask her to go. make sure that you tell her what Rob Keck always says " Its the gobble that makes the hunt, not the gobbler " and you will be able to tell her that she is the reason the hunt was so much fun.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Tell her about all the cute clothes she can get.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Worst part about taking my girlfriend fishing was she caugh an 8lb bass the 4th time out on the boat with me. If any of you are from Indiana you know that is a monster and is 2lbs bigger than any bass I have ever caught! I will never live it down!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Wow,
What a bag of worms you have opened on this question! And, what a great question it is! You asked for our two cents so I'll give you mine.

Sharing things together with the one(s) you love is one of the main reasons we are in this sport to begin with (whether we realize it or not).

I won't bore you with my particular story, I'll just say that my wife turkey hunts with me but has absolutely NO interest in any other hunting.

I'd just be aware of the following - try to involve your girl in as much as possible about turkey hunting without over-doing it. You know her better than all of us, if she is interested and wants to move on, you judge that, and give her more. If not, well then maybe you have to back off and try again another time. Ultimately, whether she decides to go for it or not, thats up to her.

Don't be to overly concerned with the right way to do things or the wrong way, again thats between you and her.

OK - I'll tell you some of my story - my wife wanted to try it out (turkey hunting) and I had her shooting skeet and sitting down and shooting at a coffee can while I was calling (the can was the turkey) and she did great, I never thought she would be able to pull the trigger on a live bird, but oh was I wrong. She shot a jake the first trip we took (3rd day of hunting) and insists on going on 1-2 hunts with me each year from now on. Did I do the right things? Nope - I showed her turkey hunting and she decided for herself that she liked it............fact is, I really didn't have much to do with her decision.

One last bit of advice - and this is tough for us die-hard turkey hunters - try to involve other things in the hunt rather than balls out hunting. For me this is an easy one cause the wife likes trout fishing and is also a botanist. My hardest thing to do when we go out is keeping her focused on the the hunting......................BUT - I will say that we have climbed more than one ridge, called, no answer, she gets interested in some stupid plant or flower, we spend 25-30 minutes looking at it and talking and the next thing you know we hear a gobbler sound off somewhere to go chase. If she wasn't with me, and if I didn't take some time to stop and 'smell the roses' we would have never heard that bird. To date we have harvested three birds this way! Damn she is good!

I think thats about 2 cents worth.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I know alot of you guys are saying leave it alone, seperate hobbies are best and all that, here is the thing. I fish 20-25 bass tournaments a summer so I am gone all summer pre fishing and tourny fishing, then fall hits and its cabin time for bow hunting and then gun hunting and then under ice trapping and ice fishing come along, she fishes with me once inawhile in the summer but we have different schedules and its not often we get outdoor time together, that is why I thought turkeys would be good. Usually warm and descent outside and she doesnt like the cold and all that, so if I can introduce her to turkey hunting, she can pick and choose the days she wants to go, If she doesnt make it out, oh well its only pocket change I am out...Thanks for all your replys..
Old 02-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Tell her a girl name Rachel want's you to teach her how to turkey hunt! If your girl friend is interested in you, she will make sure that she will be in the truck when you get ready to go! If she doesn't want to go, Hey, tell her good-bye Mary Lou and you can go Turkey Hunting anytime you like!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Tell her a girl name Rachel want's you to teach her how to turkey hunt! If your girl friend is interested in you, she will make sure that she will be in the truck when you get ready to go! If she doesn't want to go, Hey, tell her good-bye Mary Lou and you can go Turkey Hunting anytime you like!
hahahaha......good one, Reb

i would bring her, if it's in her, she'll let you know......