Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey gun help.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkey gun help.

Artie:

I like the look of your scope. What kind is it?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might also want to consider the SP-10, it's Remington's 10-gauge.

I know it comes in a camo stock, but I can't remember if it had a thumbhole.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well I am not looking for trouble, but stay away from 870's they are junk!!!!!!!!!!! I've hada few and sold them.... I shoot a lot.... I haven't seen one that shoots low brass shells. I do a lot of sporting clay shooting, and i might say it's one of the worst gun's made, if you want a gun that jams, then buy an 870. But if your buying strickly a turkey gun, and shooting high powder charges you might be alright.
As for the Moss. 835, great gun, won 1 at the NWTF banquet last year and took a bird with it! It's heavy though, but much more reliable. My main gun is a Benelli SBE II, way out of your targeted range, but maybe something to save up for in the future.... Remington Guys---not looking for trouble, just stating my opinion!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot trap with an 870 since I was 10 years old. I have my Grandfathers 870 and I hunt wabbits with it. I have never in my natural life ever heard anyone say that the 870 was junk..... The new express is not a step up from the old wingmasters but Junk? C'mon...... Then, to quote that the ever so timid 835 is more reliable..... I think all my grandfathers just rolled in ther graves....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Not to harp on Whitetailcrazy, but but think his statement as a little overdramatic! I am not saying that he doesn't have a right to state his opinion because he DOES! I just want to say in response that (1) i happen to own both a Moss. 835 and a Rem. 870 and I would not sell either one of them! But I tend to use the 870 more often, with no problems so far! And as far as Benelli is concerned they are an excellent weapon with a great reputation, BUT they to happen to have a CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT. And the reason for that is their parts also break and need replacement. So maybe it may have been the guns and not the company!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Dixon,its a ProPoint PDP2MO http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/propoint_pdp2mo.shtml
ORIGINAL: Dixon

Artie:

I like the look of your scope. What kind is it?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Wow,

THis thread really has be baffled now! I'm either buying the 870 tactical or a Mossberg 500 today and I cannot decide between which either!!! Ha! The 870 where I live will be 600 new and the 500 will be half of that.

My opinion - regardless of which you have, you have to work with it to get it in top turkey performance, chokes, shells, pellet size, etc. If your gun, regardless of make, beats those hurdles, and you've killed a few birds with it, and your confident with it.............well then by golly stick with it!

I'm also interested in some opinions on scopes..............I'm thinking of trying one of those out this year.............just don't know yet -

what do you all think??
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Spike

nohillbilly, Why why not the 1300? If it fits you, patterns good , and you shoot it well.
take a deep breath...and do a home camo job that will save you hundred$ and add a personal touch to your gun.!!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Well,

I just went out and spent the 6 bills for the 870 Remington Tactical Turkey. No chance to shoot it yet, will have to wait until tomorrow, maybe, but I'm excited. I love the stock on this thing, even sat down on my duff in the gunshop with it to see what its like in the sitting position. I'm anxious to try it. I've got about 5 different Remington chokes that I already have from previous adventures and about 12 different makes, lengths and pellet sizes for shells so I'll have to take it through the paces and see if I can come up with a winner.

Not that it matters, because mine might be different than yours, but does anyone else have one of these and what shells/chokes work for you? Always interested in a good lead or two.

Hope to have this thing ready for the opener in Mississippi, my first hunt of the year.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, there is no better choice than a mossberg, i have a 535 that is the most deadly accurate gun i own. But that is just my take on it, ive also shot 835 and 870's and i have problems with the 870's jamming when loading a new shell after firing. just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Turkey gun help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.