Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey gun help.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey gun help.

I have been looking at the Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey, but it is a little more than I want to spend on a gun that I don't need right now. I was at Gander Mountain last night and they have 12 ga. Mossberg 5oo's in MossyOAK onsale for $229.If I adda good turkey choke and someHi-Viz sights would this make a good turkey gun?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey gun help.

I guess it would. I personally think a Remington Model 870 would be better.

Mossbergs are great guns for the money, though, so it should be fine.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag turkey gun for about three or four years and I got rid of it and went to the Remmington 870 Thumbhole gun. This gun would definitly be more than what you are wanting to spend, but I would have to agree with younggun243...the Remmington 870 would probably be a better gun. Both guns are great guns, but you can't go wrong with a Remmington. The 870 is a tried and true gun for several years. Buy a Remmington...keep it for life.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have never held one ofthese new guns so my comments are merely an ignorant opinion but.... they seem like more marketing gimmicks than anything else. I mean in the day and age of seeing "Dallas SWAT" on TV we all of a sudden have a turkey gun that looks like you're going into battle with the swat boys. Even the name is blatant about this "Tactical Turkey"

"FREEZE! LIE DOWN AND PUT YER WINGS AT YOUR SIDE! Don't move those spurs now, we're going to put a tag on your leg. Nobody needs to get hurt."

Shotguns have been killing ducks, geese, deer, turkey for hundreds of years with the same basic design. Why all of a sudden have some "experts" decided that radical design changes will improve your gun. I think I know. The allmighty $$.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Great price on a gun that will do the job

Mossberg 500

Old 01-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ialready have an 870 Wingmaster that I trap shoot with and a Winchester 1300 that I squirrel hunt with. I just want a camo gun that I don't have to worry about if I'm crawling through the woods.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I guess the biggest question should be: how much do you want to spend?

You can pick up one of these for around $400 (give or take) used:

Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Wally World has 835 for $298.00 camo,high vis sights in Indiana.Hard to beat for the money.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, the regular stock type goes for about the same price here in Lynchburg, VA.

I've often debated selling mine and buying the regular stock. Granted, the thumbhole is really comfortable when shooting for me, at least.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

yep, that gun will work. i have the same one, and shot two birds last year that weighed over 25 punds each over 40 yeards away with regular #5 shot.

Quick Reply: Turkey gun help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.