Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rio Grande

Old 12-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Rio Grande

Ive seen a couple of posts up here recently about finding an outfitter in texas, and i too am looking to go on a hunt for rios in texas. has anyone been on an outfitted hunt in texas?i was wondering a little bit about what to expect, mainly because its a 20 hr. drive from virginia, and i want to give myself the best chance to bring a bird home. I am not concerned about lodging, the camp at my hunting club admittedly is not the cleanest place in the world, but i am wonderingdo you get what you pay for? Is there a lot of difference between a $750 guided hunt and a $1200 guided hunt? I know i want a guide, (not to call), but to have a knowledge of the land and mainly to watch out for rattlesnakes. I guess im so confused because all of the websites make it seem like killing a turkey, probably two is pretty much guaranteed when you go? and compared to where i have hunted that just doesnt seem right? any info is apprecitated.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rio Grande

Let me tell you something about south Texas. There are birds everywhere. When they say 100% success they mean that 100% of the hunts a hunter will at least get a good chance at a turkey. Believe me, you will, if you go to the right place. Rio's are to me much easier to hunt than Easterns. You may even be a little disappointed because of the ease of killing your birds. I know this is not always the case, but more times than not. South Texas is so unique. I love going there, not just to hunt, but also to watch the abundant wildlife. If you are agoodturkey hunter you really don't need a guide. If you mess up on one gobbler there are plenty more to go after. I have posted this before but if you want a place to hunt that won't cost you a fortune and has lots of turkeys, then try aggielandhunting.com. I went to the ranch in Encinal, TX., about 1 1/2 hours south of San Antonio. This is a no frills hunt, but there are lots of turkeys.The lodging is not top notch at all. Meals are not included. There are no guides, but you really don't need one. You can kill two Rio's for $450.00, plus lodging. A license will cost you $120.00 regardless ofwhere you hunt in TX.The panhandle area is also good. There are tons of great places to hunt in TX. Most semi guided trips are going to cost you between $500.00 and $900.00. Do your homework and you will find the right place.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rio Grande

I agree with Super Strutter as well. Its all in what you want, if you do homework and search aand search and search you can find semi-guided or non-guided for a great price like he mentions. On the other hand, if you want piece of mind that you are on a good spot, won't be bothered or pushed by other hunters, then you might pay the extra couple hundred bucks.

I've done a little of each and 'knock on wood' haven't run into a dissappointment yet.

If you wanna talk more, send me a PM and I'd be glad to talk to you (phone call)more about the turkey hunts I've been on.

Best of luck to you,