Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun help!

Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Shotgun help!

Hey guys, just wanted to know what you though about the shotgun I had in mind for this season. The Remington 870 SPS-T Super Magnum Camo - Link:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...agnum_camo.asp

What do you guys know about this shotgun? Any good?

All I've heard is get a Remington Model 870, and I recently just got a raise and decided I'd find something expensive. I don't know much about the 870 series, so if there's a better one out there let me know!

And I'm looking for a shotgun that's only for turkey hunting, I'd like to do as little upgrading as possible, I'd like a nice stock gun, but if there's some great valuable upgrades I'll get 'em.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun help!

I am sure that gun would get the job done.
The key after that purchase is getting the choke/ammo combination right for a good, solid 40 yard pattern!
Go for it!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a goodchoice. A lot of hunters sware by the 870. I think what ICALL... is getting at is, be prepared to purchase several brands, lengthsand shot sizes of turkey shells. It'll take some effort to determine which load shoots best in your gun. And, that the factory turkey chokemay, or may not, give you patterns you're happy with at the magic 40 yd. mark. Don't settle for a marginal pattern.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I basically have the same exact gun, but I got the thumbhole model. In the stock of the gun, there is a thumbhole and the gun rests extremely comfortably in your hands. I just got it a couple of months back and I am dying to try it this Spring. You can't go wrong with the Remmington 870 line. It has been a tried and true gun for many, many years. The tumbhole model is a little more expensive than the one you are looking at, but if you can afford it, I think you will like it (I know I do)!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Spike

I own a super mag like your looking at. I have a Primos Jelly Head choke on it,I like it a lot also I use Federal Mag Shok shells w/flite control wads, and get exellent patterns with no. 5 shot. I don't know if this helps you or not. Also don't shoot birds too close, my pattern is about the size of a baseball at 25yds.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:47 PM

What do you guys think about the stock choke that comes with the shotgun?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Just try that choke first!
Sometimes it patterns great!
I too have a thumbhole stock and love it!
I even kept it on for deer season this year!!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have that exact gun and let me tell you, it puts it on 'em. Comes with a full and xtra full choke, made specifically for slammin' turkeys. I've had it for 3 turkey seasons now and have no complaints at all. They don't flop long at all after the shot. If I find a gobbler, I'm confident that if I have a shot, he won't stand a chance. Theymake it in Mossy Oak Obsession camo now also. Sharp lookin' gun and does the job.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gun itself should be fine. Just makes sure you pattern different loads with the different chokes you might use, like everyone else has stated, to get your best pattern.