Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 scopes vs red dot vs open sights >

scopes vs red dot vs open sights

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scopes vs red dot vs open sights

Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default scopes vs red dot vs open sights

Which do you use and why? I haven't ever used a scope or a red dot on a shot gun and was wanting to get a feel for why hunters use them. What are there advantages / disadvantages? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: scopes vs red dot vs open sights

I myself use open sights. Thats all I need. I pattern my Mossberg 500 and I know my shooting distances. The closer the shot the better. I dont need a scope or red dot to lay the smack down. Just my thoughts...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

i use open sights tru glo, i have a buddy that had a red dot hard to see through in low light and rainy conditions also i think you had to turn it on. H e went to the tru glo
Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 PM

I use a scope, for one because thats what i shoot on every other gun i own. For two, because if im holding out for a trophy bird, with a scope I can get a really good look at the spurs before i go shooting the turkey.

Red dot.. yes you have to turn on, battery life is extremely long, unless you buy a really cheap one, they work fine in low light and foggy conditions, not that you ever have shots at turkeys in very low light conditions.Burris speed dot is a very very good red dot scope, and it weighs about half as much as your normal shotgun scope.

My 2cents
Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Due to my old eyes, I can no longer focus well on open sights, so this fall after 40 years of turkey hunting I made the decision to go to an optical sight...

Although scopes have many proponents, I was worried that due to my sometimes " awkward" shooting positions that using a scope with magnum turkey loads might invite a bad case of "scope eye"...I wanted the unlimited eye relief feature of a red dot or holographic type sight...

After much discussion with friends and on the forums, I settled on the new style Bushnell holosight...It has a long battery life and is reasonablylow profileand quite user friendly, although it's still higher than I would like... I'm considering raising the comb of my stock...It worked fine for my fall turkey this year, but since I've only hunted with it for a short time, the jury is still out..
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a scope Pygmy for the same reason - wounded a trophy - yes the gun was sighted in - and I do know I kept my head down - but I can not see the back ramp with clarity anymnore - but with my age my eyes are getting worse. So about 2 years ago I went to a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro scope - and have not missed since.

And my average yardage is still at 21 paces from where I sit outa 35 birds. Yes I do call 'em up close! Tis the way it shold be done!

JW
Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another reason I went with a scope, besides getting a better sight picture, and allowing you to see clearer in the early morning light, was thatmy gunnever shot to the point of aim. No matter what shell I put throughit, it always patterned "high Left". So by scoping it, I just dialed the retical right to the very center of the pattern, hence making it a much better turkey slayer. I never tried a "red Dot" sight, so I can't comment on their use.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like Maytom I went with a scope not only to gather light but to be more accurate.

I found the fiber optic sights blocked my target when aiming down the barrel and I didn't want to worry about turning on a red dot or forgetting to turn it off and having a dead battery and no sight. I have a Bushnell turkey scope on my Mossberg and will never look to change. It's a great combo.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32and love it. Just like the others have said, you get a clear, unblocked view of your turkey.