Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Best ML for open sights >

Best ML for open sights

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best ML for open sights

Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best ML for open sights

Hi, new to the forum. Asked this question on some other boards but figured I'd cover my bases. I'll be getting my first ML this off-season to use the coming fall. I am leaning towards using open sights at least for the first season (I will be hunting in the hills with heavy woods) and am curious which of the Knights and T/Cs perform particularly well with open sights. Not too concerned with the stock sights since I will likely put on an after market peep or ghost ring.

My two main concerns are;

(1) blowback - As I said, I will get either a Williams peep or a ghost ring and mounting it as far back (close to the breach) as possible. I am a little worried about getting my eye right up to the ring when sighting in and getting a bunch of hot powder/flash lodged in my retina from the blowback.

(2) whether the stock lets you get your head low enough to use open sights. I understand that some rifles are just better suited for scopes and don't comfortably allow you to get a good cheek weld on the stock.

I definately plan on trying out as many MLs as possible before I decide, but since I have to do a bit of travel to find the Knights and T/Cs (and maybe Savage), I would like to have as much heads-up as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best ML for open sights

Hubby - I can only comment on 2 inline MLs. That is the CVA Optia Pro and the Remington Genesis as most of my MLs are sidelocks. Of these two inlines, I never had any trouble shooting them with open sights. The only 'problem' I had, as well as a lot of the older shooters in here is that most of today's MLs come with fiber optic sights. Our older eyes tend to get a double vision on the red front sight. I for one white out all my front sights or replace them with the old V-notch and brass front bead.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Spike

I can recomend the T/C Omega. To me, it is perfect with open sights and still allows you to mount a scope at a later date. I had a very hard time getting my head down low enough with the Triumph. That gun seems to be better suited for a scope. The Encore, although I have never shot one but have shouldered them, seem to be fine with open sights too. The Knight Rolling block seems to be better suited for a scope too. No experience with the Knight Extremes though.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you mentioned, try out as many as you can get your hands on and check their fit for you. Most of the TC's had too high of a comb height for me to line up the factory sights, they seem designed for scopes only, at least for my cheek weld. Yourpreference may differ.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here.

As for what's the best rifle to shoot with open sights, you really need to handle some rifles and see which one fits you.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try an Omega X7. They come equipped with a Williams peep. Some need to immediately call T/C and order a different front post, but they are a sweet gun.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also depends on whether or not you ever plan on shooting conicals. The T/C guns (Omega, triumph) will not reliably shoot conicals because of the QLA (false muzzle) on the end of the guns.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well your specs are hard to meet. The only ones I know of that have no blow back are the Triumph and the Endeavor and they have high comb stocks that are designed for scopes. The majority of inlines have an extensive amount of blow back even the better more expensive ones like the omega and the better Knights. The main reason I have a Triumph is because of no blow back, I just don't like blow back close to my eyes. Even my Omega has quite a bit, if it did not I would suggest it as it has a stock designed for iron sights. Lee
Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58
While there are some my TC's won;t shoot well there are 4 which they do, since I only need conicals when I travel to certain states I have not wasted a lot of time with them. Lee
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Well your specs are hard to meet. The only ones I know of that have no blow back are the Triumph and the Endeavor and they have high comb stocks that are designed for scopes. The majority of inlines have an extensive amount of blow back even the better more expensive ones like the omega and the better Knights. The main reason I have a Triumph is because of no blow back, I just don't like blow back close to my eyes. Even my Omega has quite a bit, if it did not I would suggest it as it has a stock designed for iron sights. Lee
Your omega has blowback?? That's really strange. Neither of mine do...now I use a 25ACP conversion but with the smaller amount of shooting I've done with the stock 209 plug I didn't notice any either. Maybe something's wrong with your plug?

Quick Reply: Best ML for open sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.