Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scopes or open sights for children? >

scopes or open sights for children?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scopes or open sights for children?

Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Default scopes or open sights for children?

I found that it is alot easir for children to use open sights than scopes,especially with the bolt action rifles.They seem tofocus on the target better and it don't seem to make themconcentrate as much when useing a scope,as for the cross hairs moveing around as much plus after that first scope burn makes them a bit nervous. I had trouble when I started hunting.The gun I had had a scope on it,and I missed like 5 deers with it.Anyway my cos gave me his 7mmRM and him and my uncle pushed this little patch of woods for me.The gun had see thru scope rings.Anyway,I picked a target out with the scope then looked under the rings and seen the open sights was in the same place as the scope on the target. Anyway after seeing his nose scar from the recoil.I used the open sites.They drove 3 does out and one shot about 50 yrds away dropped her in her tracks.I do use a scope now but allways have the see thru rings that come in handy when deer are within 75yrds and running.Alot easier to get a fix on them in heavy cover also.Just wondering if anyone else agrees this would help children with shooting.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scopes or open sights for children?

I actually find new shooters learn faster with scopes.They only have to place the crosshairs on the target instead of aligning two sights and the target.As for recoil ,the easy answer is to start new shooters out with rimfires and work them up to the higher powered rifles in stages.As for being hit with the scope,by far the biggest factors are improperly mounted scopes and scopes with too little eye relief.With the proper equipment,I have had beginners shooting magnums in relatively short time without ever being struck by a scope.As for scopes being easier to use at shorter distances,perhaps for people that are inexperienced with scopes,but I find low powered scopes to be quicker as well as more precise.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to see kids learn to shoot with open sights before they move on to scopes. This just in case their scope would foul up on a hunt. However mant rifles don't even have sights anymore let alone good usable sights.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:11 PM
DM

I like to see kids learn to shoot with open sights before they move on to scopes. This just in case their scope would foul up on a hunt.
I agree 100%!!

It teaches them what they need to beable to use any firearm they pick up from that day on! Teach it to them when they are young, and they will learn it faster, easier, and have it for life!!

Drilling Man
Old 12-18-2005, 03:51 PM

one that i ahve found maybe even one better. this year as a test i put a red dot scope on my muzzleloader and it works great. when you lokk through it no matter how your eye lines up it will hit where the dot is. try it.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Open sights first then scope. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

I like to see kids learn to shoot with open sights before they move on to scopes. This just in case their scope would foul up on a hunt. However mant rifles don't even have sights anymore let alone good usable sights.
Add another to the "Agree" list. Yes, scopes may make for quicker proficiency but we're talking about putting three points in a line...not astrophysics. If you can shoot well with old iron sights you can with a scope. It doesn't work the otherway around sometimes. Equipment malfunctions do happen as well. I know that I first learned shooting with a .410 "snake charmer", then a .22 with iron sights. A couple months later grandpa put a scope on that .22 (which is now mine and wears the same scope) I quickly "forgot" how to shoot open sights and to this day do not feel comfortable on a rifle w/o a scope. I certainly wished I had had more time on the gun with just iron sights.

BTW scope "kissing" shouldn't be a problem on a gun that you start someone new on.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM

I agree, open sites for the younger hunters then move them up.All my guns have see thru mounts allso and most of them are the RemBDL 700 models.I feel comfortable shooting both and this lets you put larger scopes on your gun allso above 10 power.