Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys >

Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Old 12-14-2006, 07:17 AM

Default RE: Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

One of the major gripes about mechanicals when they first came out, was the trasfer of energy to the head in order to make the blades come out. This resulted in fewer pass through shots on deer which didn't make many bow hunters happy about using them with deer. They do work, though, and have come a long way in the past couple of years. Some companies have made pass through shots with mechanicals a very easy thing to achieve.

However, the general rule of thumb on turkeys is the need for the arrow to hit home and stay in the turkey. One of the best shots on a turkey is right through the vitals from the side, which essentially pins the turkeys wing to his body making it impossible for him to fly. They can still run.....but not if you hit them square. So the mechanical broadhead was the best choice because of it's tendancy to stay in game and not achieve a full pass through.

That's the way it was explained to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

Spitfire gobbler getters!!!!!!! Absolutely love them.
What he said!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the same thing I shoot deer with. My confidence stays this way. The thing about mechanicals is they have a failure rate. It may not be big, but its there. I stay with my fixed Muzzys and know if I hit any animal they way it should be hit, Ill have a good blood trail leading to my trophy!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 AM

I don't want to hijack the post but does a blunt tip (for lack of a better term) work better than a cut on contact. Example, NAP gobbler getterversus Rage.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ash2042

I don't want to hijack the post but does a blunt tip (for lack of a better term) work better than a cut on contact. Example, NAP gobbler getterversus Rage.
I would say the NAP gobbler getter