Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Calling contests

Old 12-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling contests

I've been turkey hunting forabout sixyears now and have killed some nice limbhangers. I'd ratherhear gobblers sounding off all around me on a cool andfoggy Alabama spring morningthan kill a buck. It has quickly become an addiction. I'm only 21 so I know I've got many more years until I can consider myself a true veteran. I've learned that experience is one thing I'd rather have in my vest than anything else. Anyways I'm thinkin aboutgetting into competition calling sometimein the future and would like opinions on the most versatile diaphragms out there.I want the best.Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling contests

SouthernStrut,

Check out Dedturkey.com - is a forum for turkey hunting but there are A LOT of callers on thier that will be able to give you some suggestions, you might even recognize some of these boys if you follow turkey hunting. Some of the big dogs are on there......................anyways, I can give you the quick response to you question which, unfortunately, is the truth.

Everybody uses different calls and gets different sounds out of them. I'd be embarassed to tell you how many different diaphragms I've purchased in the last 4 years............its in the hundreds...............

I've also been wanting to get into competition calling but its a lot of work, and takes time to travel to these things. One thing for sure, I've been told this several times when I've posted questions like yours on the Dedturkey forums. Doing the practice necessary to prepare for a calling contest will make you ONE MEAN woods caller.................so, its a win win!

Give me a shout if you wanna talk more...............
Old 12-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Southern Strut,

I am 19 and have done a few calling contests. It is pretty fun, not going to lie. It is very tough and takes lots of practice, the calls just have to become second nature.
Many comp. callers make their own mouth calls....good luck! Im going to check out dedturkey. com too!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite is a MAD Shippwreck. If I cut it down so that I can choke it back into the rear of my tongueand get it loosened up pretty good, I can even hammer out a half-decent gobble on it (good enough to easily fool a hunter, but still won't cut the mustard on a wily old tom). My favorite call of all time. I have about 20 of 'em unopened and stored in the closet. I prefer the Shippwreck in the flipover series. The ones I have are blue and they MAY be discontinued at this point.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are serious about calling in contests you will more than likely have to build your own calls or have someone build them for you. I built all my own when I was competing. I still build some for others that still call. It does take a lot of time.
I would watch video of not only turkeys but contests as well. Then video myself and try different calls till I got two that would be almost identical. That way you have a backup in case one goes sour while practicing.
Most of us use a specific call for each sound. The yelp requires one call the cutting and flydown another as well as the purr, kee kee and any other sound you may be asked to reproduce for the judges.
I would practice myself for up to 6 hours a day. Now that was building calls and watching video then doing the calls.
I would say rythym is a very big part of contests. Get a sound you like and can reproduce without errors and get your cadence down.
Good luck! There are alot of guys and girls that sound better than most birds!!!