Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys >

Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Just wondering what kind people use. I am going to try it with my bow this year.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

From what I have read you should use mechanical. I haven't done a lot of bow hunting for turkey (I want to start doing so soon). Mechanical will cut a larger diameter. There was a thread just like this about a month ago in the archery forums. Do a search and I am sure you will find it!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

spitfires worked really well for me.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM

i use the ted nugent 100 gr 2 blade, killed two merriums in the mountains of northern new mexico did great job on them.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfire gobbler getters!!!!!!! Absolutely love them.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Because I asked the same question but more answers here; why the expandables? What are the negitives and positives? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although I never hunted a gobbler with the bow before, (there tuff enough with a gun at times), I have read many posts stating that a mechanical head usually will have better accuracy than a fixed bladed headand that the Rocket 100gr Hammerhead with it's 2" cut is a deadly mechanical to use on turkeys!!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: maytom

Although I never hunted a gobbler with the bow before, (there tuff enough with a gun at times), I have read many posts stating that a mechanical head usually will have better accuracy than a fixed bladed headand that the Rocket 100gr Hammerhead with it's 2" cut is a deadly mechanical to use on turkeys!!
Maytom, although I agree whole heartily that a big cutting diameter mechanical is ideal for turkeys, they are not more accurate than fixed blades. A perfectly tuned bow will shot both just as accurately. A bulleye is a bulleye regardless of heads. I have several broadheads grouping together, two being a RM Snyper and the other a Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Maytom, although I agree whole heartily that a big cutting diameter mechanical is ideal for turkeys, they are not more accurate than fixed blades. A perfectly tuned bow will shot both just as accurately. A bulleye is a bulleye regardless of heads. I have several broadheads grouping together, two being a RM Snyper and the other a Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade.
Rob, I agree 100%, but the words "perfectly tuned bow" doesn't apply to the majority of bowhunters out there. Most guys don't take the time to do that, hence the mechanicals will shoot best in that situation.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Rob, I agree 100%, but the words "perfectly tuned bow" doesn't apply to the majority of bowhunters out there. Most guys don't take the time to do that, hence the mechanicals will shoot best in that situation.
Agreed !

Quick Reply: Fixed or mechanical for Turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.