Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fixed VS mechanical?? >

Fixed VS mechanical??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fixed VS mechanical??

Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Fixed VS mechanical??

OK I am starting to really get into this bowhunting stuff... just started 2 years ago..Been gun hunting for 12. I got a question about broadheads. Let's say I am shooting a deer at 40-50 yards... I know most people don't advise it.... but just to say if i did. Does the typre of broadhead matter if you are shooting a further distance. I am just trying to decide what to buy. So far I have just used muzzys. But I am looking at the rage 2 blade and was wondering if either one varies more at a longer distance?????
Old 09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed VS mechanical??

As long as you have sufficiant Kentetic Energy the only real factor at that distance would be wind drift. A fixed head will drift more than a mecnanical with all else being the same, because of less exposed blade surface as long. Other than that like I said with sufficiant energymechanicals would be fine.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

read through my link. It will give you some good insight on the differences and how to make a wise choice for your specific setup.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Spike

As passthru said, alot depends on your kinetic energy exerted by your bow. If you kinetic energy is anywhere around the 50 range you will have no trouble downing a whitetail in North America. However, Fixed vs. Mechanical is kind of a personal choice. Some swear by the mechanicals and others despise them and visa versa, it all comes down to what you are comfortable shooting. I've never had trouble with a mechanical and I've never had trouble with a fixed blade and the last 2 years I've shot fixed blade and taken deer out to 50 yards without a problem. So shoot a few different ones and see what flies out of your bow the best and what your comfortable shooting and enjoy the hunt.