Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New Turkey Hunter Reporting In >

New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Old 08-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

ORIGINAL: Dixon

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about going on my first hunt! My friends tell me that turkeys have excellent eye sight, so would my old military fatigues work, or should I go with a different pattern? I mean after all, I haven't used my old camos in a while...and probably don't fit into them. LOL!

I will look into some ammo this weekend, my friend that convinced me to go turkey hunting wants to play with my Mossberg. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of patterns I have to work with.

All in all, thanks for the warm welcomes and I'm definitely looking forward to spending some time on the boards here.

Welcome to the world of hunting. And to step in against turkeys is awesome. As for your camo, an upgrade is in order. Thumbing thru Cabelas, Bass Pro, Redhead, ect, will give a variety of choice. They all work, so its a personal choice thing. None will work if u move at the wrong time. Mosbergs can shoot a 3&1/2 " shell, but its not necessary. Plus they pack quite a wallop. A 3" shell is plenty.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turk2di

ORIGINAL: Dixon

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about going on my first hunt! My friends tell me that turkeys have excellent eye sight, so would my old military fatigues work, or should I go with a different pattern? I mean after all, I haven't used my old camos in a while...and probably don't fit into them. LOL!

I will look into some ammo this weekend, my friend that convinced me to go turkey hunting wants to play with my Mossberg. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of patterns I have to work with.

All in all, thanks for the warm welcomes and I'm definitely looking forward to spending some time on the boards here.

Welcome to the world of hunting. And to step in against turkeys is awesome. As for your camo, an upgrade is in order. Thumbing thru Cabelas, Bass Pro, Redhead, ect, will give a variety of choice. They all work, so its a personal choice thing. None will work if u move at the wrong time. Mosbergs can shoot a 3&1/2 " shell, but its not necessary. Plus they pack quite a wallop. A 3" shell is plenty.
Ditto!!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't do it! Once you have started you won't be able to stop, especially when you have killed that first gobbler. You will become addicted. Man what an addiction. Seriously though, everyone on the forum has there own preferences in ammo, camo, and calls. You need to find what works best for you. I like the 3 1/2 loads. Some hunters here don't like them and that's perfectly fine. As for camo I like Nat Gear and Mossy Oak Obsession. Do take some time though to master the mouth call. You will be glad you did. You have plenty of time to practice. You will probably fail more times than you succeed when starting off, but don't let that deter you. Keep plugging away. Remember this word, PATIENCE. You must have it if you are going to be successful in bagging gobblers. Sometimes they will come running and you may say to yourself this is easy,but this by far is usuallynot the case. There are many knowledgable turkey hunters on this forum that will be happy to give you any advice. Just remember when you bag that first bird you will become an addict. Good luck in your new addiction.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks all for the words of wisdom/encouragement.

I went out this weekend and ran some shells thru the Mossberg. I really liked the pattern that the Federal No. 5's (3 1/2") gave. Yeah, it kicked, but the recoil pad really took the brunt of the force. It litterally didn't hurt. Now, granted I do have a bruise on my shoulder now...but it was fine during the shots.

A friend of mine at work just granted me access to his 90 acre plot and told me to bag some turkeys and deer if I want. So, it's been a great day today!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are already off to a great start. Let us know if if you need some advice. Turkey season is a long ways off, but it's never too early to start thinking and talking about it.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that when you're out in the woods hunting you can shoot any load and never feel the kick, but patterning can be punsihment, especially with 3 1/2 inch loads. You may want to invest in a Sims recoil pad, those things really work. I went from various shades of purple one year to no brusing the next. As for camo, most would agree that NO MOVEMENT is much more important than pattern.