Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New Turkey Hunter Reporting In >

New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Old 08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Hi all. I'm new to the forums. A friend of mine has convinced me into going turkey hunting with him this year - which will be a first for me. I'm definitely looking forward to the experience, seeing as how I've never been hunting before.

He instructed me into purchasing a shotgun. I found a well maintained Mossberg 835 TH with a scope and thumbhole stock for a reasonable amount of money. I have noticed the barrel is much shorter than most shotguns. Does anybody have, or had any experience with this particular shotgun? Pro's and con's are welcome.

Also, what are some other things that I should consider for the hunt? As stated before, I am new to this, so please forgive me for sounding ignorant when asking questions.

A quick "about me". I live in Lynchburg, Virginia with my wife of 11 years and two sons (a 10 year old and a 15 month old). We moved here from San Diego, but I'm originally from New York City. I'm prior military (Navy). As for my occupation, I'm a professional computer geek (Network Administrator). I like a little bit of everything. Basically, I'm just your average "Joe".

Yup, that about covers it. My long-winded "supposedly" short first post on the forums.

Frank
Old 08-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Welcome aboard. I myself use a Mossberg 500 for my turkey hunting. Mossbergs make a very reliable gun. I wouldnt trade mine for the world. As for other things you need I would start by trying different shot sizes for your gun. I use Federal 5 shot 2oz Magnums... They shoot well from my gun. Start getting some calls, slate, box, mouth calls etc and start practicing. Get a good turkey vest. Also look for some locator calls, owl, crow, or coyote. If ya have any questions just ask, there is a ton of good advise in this forum... Arrowmaster
Old 08-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the welcome!

Okay, here is extreme stupid question number one from me. What is a turkey vest?

Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

A turkey vest is somewhat similar to a hunting vest. Its camo with lots of different pockets, a pouch in the back for carrying out your turkey. It has a place for your shells, and makes carrying all your turkey accessories easy. It also has a fold down seat cushion for sitting on.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Mossberg 835 is an excellent turkey gun, the thumb hole is nice too. You need to pattern that gun and know what loads your gun likes and what choke gives you the tightest pattern. I'd get some 4's, 5's and 6's from several manufacturers in 3" magnum and see which ones work best out to 35- 40 yards. Know what the gun can do and what your limits are and good luck. Once you step into the woods and hear that tom gobbling, you'll be hooked for life!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard Dixon...lotta good knowledgable folk here to help you out.Things are a bit slow now with the focus on archery deer season for many.
Lots of good turkey guns out there now days I'm somewhat partial to a good ole Rem 870!Well within the price range competively and a good durable well shooting gun.A stock full or extra full choke will get the job done matching the right sizeshot with the best manufacturer ammo will give youa solid pattern inside 40 yards.But thats up to you to test and find out.As Rip pointed out!!!Heres a link to a few turkey vests to look at also...Bob
http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodList.asp?d=1005&p=1003
Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Welcome i am also new to the forum and so far been a lot of fun i got hooked on turkey hunting in 99 and went out and spent a lot of money fast and through time ihave learned all you need is a good gun rem 870 is my choice have shot all the others and came back to the 870 as far as the basics you need good camo for your area a couple calls and some decoys and a vest what helped me the most is primos turkey videos i would watch them and pratice calling till i sounded like them it works but the wife hates it lol well welcome and good luck
Old 08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about going on my first hunt! My friends tell me that turkeys have excellent eye sight, so would my old military fatigues work, or should I go with a different pattern? I mean after all, I haven't used my old camos in a while...and probably don't fit into them. LOL!

I will look into some ammo this weekend, my friend that convinced me to go turkey hunting wants to play with my Mossberg. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of patterns I have to work with.

All in all, thanks for the warm welcomes and I'm definitely looking forward to spending some time on the boards here.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Welcome!! The Mossburg 835 is an great gun to hunt with. It is by far my favorite turkey gun. I use 4 shot Federals, 3in or 3.5in. and they have worked great for me. i had some problems with the Winchester supremes ejecting from my gun.
You might want to start out with a good box call, they are prety easy to learn and sound great. I use a box call about 75% of the time. I think about any camo will work, i used to wear fatigues and they worked well.
Just try going out in the woods and listening to turkeys and try to see how interact with each other. Just wait till you hear that longbeard gobble and the hair on your neck stands up, you will be addicted.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:42 AM

If you like to watch video's try the mossy oak and hunter specalities ones on turkey hunting school. primos,quaker boy, drury, and most all of them have some very good tips and tricks. ask some of the fellers in the area you are gonna hunt. Remember the only dum question is the one you don't ask. G/L to ya.

Quick Reply: New Turkey Hunter Reporting In

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.