Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tueky Hunting New England States?? >

Tueky Hunting New England States??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tueky Hunting New England States??

Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tueky Hunting New England States??

Howdy,
Anybody have any good leads or suggestions for guides or pay for access private hunts in any New England States? I'm thinking Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, CT, Massachusetts, ??
I've talked to a few guides that are mainly trout fishermen but offer turkey hunting but they are steep......375/day to hunt PUBLIC land with them - 2-3 day minimum. I don't want a guide per se but would prefer to hunt private land and pay a 'trepass' fee.
I've hunted OK, KS, WI, IL, IA, MI, PA so far and am going to attempt, over time, to hunt turkey in every state in this great country!
Any leads, advice, suggestions or otherwise would be greatly appreciated! If you hae any other 'highly recommended guides/hunts outside of New England I'd love to hear about them as well!
Robert K.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tueky Hunting New England States??

I think I would just do my home work and go with a giude... It prob would be cheaper in the long run
Old 08-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you would be nuts to go with a guide for NY, CT or MA. The serious hunters in VT have also been tagging a fair number of birds. NH and ME are a bit more dicey, simply because they don't have as many birds. RI is more of a plain old crapshoot, mainly because the darn state is so small that actual hunting ground (public or private) is scarce.

If you want some more details about NY, CT or MA, drop me an email. But personally, I think if you hunted public land on any of those states for one entire week, I think you could easily harvest a bearded bird. Maybe not a nice 3-year old tom, but a bearded bird
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maine does indeed have a good bird population! The southern half of the state has alot of turkeys. While here in the northern half of the state a
stocking program is currently in affect. With a quite a few birds currently
showing up. In the southern half they are a nuciance to farmers. With getting into grain silos and crapping all over the fields for cows to walk in
makes them an unwelcome quest. So if checking this area I would check
with some of the farmers here, as, some would be more than happy to
let you hunt their land.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:57 AM

If it was me i would spend my money on a ny guided hunt
Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

NY is the way to go, I know a great guide, you would have to get a hotel, but the man himself is top notch.......PM me is you want some info...

Good Luck in your decision...

Willie
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Don't bother with a guide in Vermont, plenty of birds and plenty of public land to hunt on. Check the State website, it should have the harvest by county. The spring season is May 1-31, plenty of time to connect and hunter pressure is minimal in most places. Good Luck!!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:22 PM

if it is ok to shoot a turkey with a bow, y dont more people use .22 LR, there is more energy with a .22, what is the killing effect of a bow and how is it better if it has less energy
Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM

your best bet is vermont.vermont turkey hunters set yet another spring harvest this year, under adverse hunting conditions. the rain was horrible. not a lot of pressure, lot's of birds. if you can't get a bird here, might as well hang up the gun. i got two again this spring, including one over 20lbs. it is not uncommon to see thirty to fifty birds a day while spring hunting. i do some semi-guiding, drop me a line at [email protected] if you want some help or info on where to go.