Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

00 shot for gobblers

Old 05-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 00 shot for gobblers

Got a guy up here I know that's one of those that watches every hunting show and takes it all as gospel. Still puts his own inexperience with certain issues ahead of the knowledgeable one but that's his problem. Well for whatever reason he bucked his trend and went out on a limb. Last season he "hit" but didn't recover 3 turkeys. Blamed the load not himself, his gun or the pattern the combo produced. Well this year he "hit another turkey andit got away. He was using 00 buckshot with a full choke. Again, balmed everything but himself and his choice. I tried to explain the concept of small ellets and big pelletsand the penetration issues of each especially with the feathers. He just didn't seem to understand or at least not WANT to understand. Some people just don't get it I guess. Of course he's also too cheap to buy the better stuff and take time to pattern.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 00 shot for gobblers

We have a law against using 00buck..any shot larger than #2's actually.00buck will kill a turkey,but you will really need to be trying to make a body shot.You're right.The idea of the small shot is to have alot of pellets swarm a specific area....I don't think I'd want to hunt with your friend.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Nothing larger then 4's here.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Here in Indiana its no larger than 4 shot...
Old 05-06-2006, 02:48 PM

hmmm...goin out on a limb now....i explain this on my old age...lol...it's fellas like that that makes for the bad 'press' we hunters get from the non-hunting population...tell him to re-read the ethics on the back of his hunter safety card..he needs to get an education on fair chase and hunter ethics...thing is, even if he's allowed to use double aught, loosing those birds should make him reconsider a different load...same here in New York as ranchand...nothing larger than twos or nothing smaller than eights...sorry, but i havent gotrespectfor guys like that...[&:]
Old 05-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Maine Shooter I think you better tell your friend that only shot sizes between #2 and #6 are legal for Spring turkey in Maine, sounds like the kind of jerk that is going to end up killing somebody, who knows it may be you. Any chance he may jack a deer or two during the off season. If you want you can drop me his name and I know a fella who would be more than happy to go explain the rules to him.

Good luck and safe hunting
BD
Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't know about the shot requiremnts but I'm betting he does but ignoring them for the expected results of the 00 to compenstae for the other inadequacies. I'm very sure that there's no other against the book stuff with hsi hunting. He's more of one that want to simply kill something than actually hunt it. To hunt requires a physical effort. His idea of hunting is driving around until he sees the birds and hoping they are close enough. In short, lazy.
I do not hunt with this person, never have and because of the differing opinions on other game hunting methods, never will (I'm a walker and therefore actually "hunting" the animal rather thansitting and waitingfor it to come to me. Also I'm not into a get the lead out (semi-auto) and hope person. I want to be darn sure about the shot placement of all my shots a nd not knowingly rely on that second automatic shot. Gave up trying to show any ethics to this person. Too far gone. Not in a legal way just in an ethic way. (same person shoots coydogs with 00 as well. (or should I say tries to) Great looking pelts.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

MS,

Based on what some others have posted, your friend is hunting illegal, but more importantly, 00 buckshot is just to dangerous to be using.

As my father got older, he needed more than a rifle or revolver to hunt wild hogs, he went to 00 buckshot out of a Rem. 1148 in 16 ga. He killed to many to count with that combination. 4, 5, & 6s' are dangerous enough, but 00 buck., I wouldn't want to be in the same area with your friend.

dog1