Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 21, I blew a gimme!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Day 21, I blew a gimme!

Normally I walk to do my turkey hunting, but today, because I'm give out, I took my 4 wheeler. I went to the back of our land, the swamp. Stayed til 9:30 a.m., didn't hear a thing. Went back to our deer camp, got my thermos out of the truck and decided I would just sit there and listen. At 10, a bird gobbled about 300 yds from me, I grabed my stuff and went about 50 yds. into the edge of the swamp. This bird wouldn't come in, he kept moving off and to my right, so I walked back to the camp. At 11:00, one gobbled about a quarter mile from me, don't know if was the first bird and he went to the right later. Anyway, grabed my gun and went down the road from the camp about 150 yds and set up in the edge of planted pines. As I sat there, I kept thinking, wouldn't it be great if he came down the road to me. I knew he was geting a little closer, but couldn't tell if he was in the old logging road or in the swamp.

Well folks, I don't know where my mind was, but he quit gobbling at about 12:10 pm. Now anybody that knows anything about turkey hunting, knows that if a bird is coming closer and he shuts up, there's only one of three things thats' happened, he died, he's going away, or he's coming to you. At 12:30 I was looking left into the swamp, I looked around to look back up the road, you guessed it, he was standing there looking at me and high tailed it out of there. All I could see of him was his neck and head, he was coming over a hill.

As y'all may remember, I've killed one bird this year, and even bought some books on turkey hunting. I know now my calling isn't the problem. I've messed up at least 5 times this year, and at least 3 was gimmes'.
I honestly don't know why I'm not paying attention, that bird was 35 steps from me. He came down an old logging road, down a small hill and up a small hill, and I wasn't paying attention. I'm so aggravated with myself right now. It's not like me and for the world I don't know why I am making these stupid mistakes.

I went to the truck and got a decoy. I took it back to where the bird was and took pictures, I sent them to JW so he could see how bad I blew it.

dog1
Old 04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Day 21, I blew a gimme!

I would say maybe its because you have killed one already and your not paying as much attention to whats going on.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many turkeys have you killed???
Old 04-14-2006, 03:58 PM

That is too bad better luck next time.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not like me and for the world I don't know why I am making these stupid mistakes.

Man if I had a dollar for everytime I've screwed up on a turkey[&:]It happens to all of us.Anyone who says it doesn't,Well lets just say I wouldn't buy a used car from that person.All ya can do is chalk it up to experience and get right back out there.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Dog! - well I just got back! and haven't opened my work e-mail yet!
But I will...

Now you are at the point - you got to sit back and say - - It just don't matter any more!...relax.....and good things will happen...

I know how hard it is to stay focused.....more than one time I have found myself sound asleep -a snore woke me up only to see turkey butts running awway!

Bad thing is I found I also drooled all down the front of me!

It bad to get old!

JW
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Wow!!
Thats a shame.
Those things happen, guess thats the way it goes.
"Sometimes it's turkeys and sometimes it's feathers!!"