Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Preserve hunting ITS NOT A GIMME >

Preserve hunting ITS NOT A GIMME

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Preserve hunting ITS NOT A GIMME

Old 08-06-2008, 05:45 AM

Default Preserve hunting ITS NOT A GIMME

I say no noway,aint happining,never to those who hunt any game that moves on all fours inside of a pen. It amazes me that anyone would consider that hunting and it disgusts me. I own a preserve that i do pheasants at that by no way is a easy hunt. yes i set the birds but by the time we get there they are gone and the dogs have a hot spot to start at. even better is the release to kill ratio 75% are harvested the rest are out there somewhere doing bird stuff. Yes i am prejudice since i do this for a living but it has to be one of the most exciting hunts to take your first year hunter on and i also shoot awesome video at the customers request. just a thought i wanted to convey to all of you and an idea for you and your no1 hunter to consider if you cant be good be good at it tb
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Default RE: Preserve hunting ITS NOT A GIMME

WTF?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 AM

can you fill me in what does wtf mean
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Daleh is referring to the initials of an strong expletive that I will let you figure out. I believe that this is in response to the fact that your post appears to be speaking out against canned hunting only to distract from the fact that you are using this forum to market your ownbusiness that is very similar to a canned hunt. It seems to be a diversion to avoid getting flamed. I'm sure that was not your intent.

Spud
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM

thanks for the info and you were right on all counts yes it is true my buis. is close but after five years i found the addage close but no cigar fits here also you were right that i was not promoting my buisness as you see no contact no.s or invites and last i was hoping to promote an intelligent conversation so you get a thumbs up but i dont think the fella that wrote wtf. is ready for one hahaha good hunting
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry, but I think you missed the intended sarcasm in my comments. I'm not a fan of this type of hunting. I'd rather not hunt.

Spud
Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 PM

i guess i did but i know that i have seen many kids fall in love with pheasant hunt here and a trip to the midwest might as well be mars maybe one of them will take on the plight of the western ny. pheasant and we will someday have a huntable population till then i guess the only way they will even have a crack at a bird is due to farms like mine. i hunted here when you did not need a dog and i saw the results of complacent hunters and game comm. we release 1500-2000 birds a year and harvest 70-75% I have put more birds into the wild in the last five years than the game comm. so where is the wrong in what i do
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-09-2008, 12:40 AM

Well Then,
I guess when you attack hunting pen raised big game in a fence and offer a shooting preserve for pen raised birds. It is in fact the same thing.
On the other hand I understand everthing you said in the latter posts. This is not my opinion; this is a fact and it will open a big can of worms. State Departments of Natural Resourcessuch as North and South Dakota release more Pheasants per year than preserves in any 5 states.
Here is the difference. They release birds acording to state requiremnets.
Most are young birds
they are grownby certified growers
Inoculated against poultry diseases
They are released in designated state maintained hunting grounds.
The requirement to own a preserve in these states are also under control of state DNR. Equal number of males and females are released. Females may not be harvested. State bag limits still apply.
It does help replinish the wild birds or compensates for losses
of wild birds each year. This does not work for bob-white quail in the south or any other place for that matter.
Now here is the problem with shooting preserves and it has plegged my business for years.
Shooting preserves are typically under 200 acres in size.
They hunt on a 10 acre course
Pen raised birds bought as cheep as possible are awfull.
People hate chasing birds that will not fly and it ruins bird dogs
There is nothing natural about a pheasant with a blinder
Seeing 20 birds and killing 20 birds is not a hunt it is a shoot
There is a way to fix these problems and make preserve hunting more like wild hunting. However, that is my trade seceret.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sorry to ruffle feathers and don't mean to offend, but I've just had too many friends hunt in these "hunt clubs" and it just doesn't seem like hunting when you know how many birds are out there and more or less that they will be there because they are pen raised. My brother went once with his father in law and they had to kick some of the birds to get them to fly. I don't know about them ruining dogs but I think that taking a young hunter there might ruin 'em. It might seem on the surface to be a good "training" environment, but I would think that giving them an easy hunt in the first years would only make it more likely for them to return to the "easy way" and never graduate to real hunting once they find out how much harder it is. I've been invited with friends to hunt some of these clubs in our area and have politely declined. I hope that they are not the future of hunting in our country.

Spud
Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM

well put if all hunting goes that way i will beat you to the scrap yard with my guns. I have also heard all the horror stories from non flying birds and i once had a shooter[not hunter] ask me to tie a string between the birds legs so they would not run so fast. I explained all my birds were sold or started to before I started laughing him off the farm. I have a very basic farm a working farm at that there is no club house or black top walkways. And my favorite saying is NO YUPPIES YOU WON'T FIT IN. I was told by a man who was picked on during the hunt and also did his share of it to. Real commaradery amongst friends who had only met an hour ago. Do you Know what I mean? We'll anyways we wrapped up the hunt and we were having a beer and he procedes to tell me how he has been taken everywhere in the country to hunt birds and mine were the wildest he had ever seen. he handed me his card and after they left i read it. He was the v.p. of geico insurance this made his compliments credible. my farm is 500 acres, my flypen holds 1500-2000 birds that i raise from day olds, it is 300ft x 300ft. a continuous water supply and feed is set every 2 weeks. from the time they get in the pen till hunting they will have human contact 2x a month. They run as much as they fly like a wild bird and when they get up they leave a jet wash hahaha. That is my secret to a real as it gets hunt. And with 2 topnotch dogs and i mean youd be proud to own them there are birds wiley enough to get away. My feathers are ok and I consider you a gentleman and a friend. if you ever get up here [western ny] look me up the birds are on me hahaha hey ck it out a www.salmonriverfishing.com click fishing reports and scroll to oct-nov. of 07 let me know what you think
[align=left] [/align]