Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 dog1 - Tennessee bird down & it is a good un! >

dog1 - Tennessee bird down & it is a good un!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

dog1 - Tennessee bird down & it is a good un!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default dog1 - Tennessee bird down & it is a good un!

NWTF
Your score is 21.9375 + 10 + 11.25 + 37.75 = 80.9375

wt 21.15 lbs
beards (2) 9 1/8 & 9 3/4
spurs rt 1" - lft 1 1/8"

Ya hoo!

JW

Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dog1 - Tennessee bird down & it is a good un!

Well dang JW, I was hopeing I could give you some pointers on how to mess up.

Congratulations, Great Bird.

dog1
Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay here is the real story.

The have been 2 mature birds taken off this 106 Tennessee acres......
Got out there about 5:30 am as I had a hike up these hills.....I got to the field I last finsihed on 3 years ago and set-up my double bull blind. I wedged in between two cedars....
Time was 5:40 AM....
Place Henrietta - a bobble head decoy 10 paces from blind slightly to the left......Placed Vira my full bodied hen right on the ground facing slightly towards the blind and 8 paces out....then placed my secret weapon.....name is Bruce...a rubber jake decoy that I folded his tail inot his body cavity.....and then placed an old real tail fan so he looked like he was about to mate that full bodied hen....

Hunkered in my blind.....

At 6:10 AM had ahen talk to me as I over looked this field....she came out of no where and I really ticked her off....she catawalled all the way into Bruce and his Harem!....Stood there 5 minutes or soe and purred....couldn't figure out what was wrong....the real hen then walked to my left about 10 to 15 yards away and started yelping...I yelped back each tme she yelped just to pass the time....I did hear gobbles inthe morning and counted 6 brds....I did hear shot - 3 seperate time one was a double shot.....then all of a sudden behind I hear a gobble that could not have been more than 40 yards.....the real hen really started yelping and so did I
When she shut-up - I shut-up!
Lo and behold I am looking where the hen is calling from but can nt see her! And then I see the top of a full symetrical fan!! That is it one Gobble - I could not see behind me...he must have strutted his way in.....so I yelped a few more times on the Mike Kensigner Signature box call as it was new......when I saw that fan he was less the 25 yards now but it was too thick to see him good.....and then here he comes......8 paces out from my blind and totally focused on Bruce my synthectic strutting decoy.....I got most of this on my video camera!
Well the bird looked good and I was going to see what he would do with Bruce cause he looked mad!...But when I was filming him I saw his spur.....put the camera down and got the gunup as the spur I saw was pointed - was nice....Whacked him at 8 paces from where I sat!

You can see the score above.....and I didn;t know it was a double bearded bird until I walked back to weigh him....all I looked at was the spurs and they are gooduns!
At least a 3 to 4 year old bird.....
Was a great but short hunt as my plan of making Bruce t add to Henrietta and Vira all came together.....and then that new box call! WOW!

That is my sotry and I am sticking to it!

JW
Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

JW,

And a great story it is. Again, Congratulations. Now, lets' see some feathers on here.

dog1
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

what makes this even better is that your on my team JW lol and im hoping to get mine may 1st i think it sohuld be a holiday so i dont have to skip school lol
Old 04-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Sweeeeeet hunt man! I have to see a pic of the thisdouble bearded bird[8D]!!!