Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 hows the NY season shaping up? >

hows the NY season shaping up?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hows the NY season shaping up?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Default hows the NY season shaping up?

hey guys,
im gonna be hunting upstate new york this season and i just wanted to see if any of the new yorkers here have any predictions of this season.
thanks guys!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hows the NY season shaping up?

Hopefully a good one[8D]
Old 04-09-2006, 02:28 PM

HStomslayer, from what i've seen in my scouting trips....this year seems to be going very well...i have a good feeling about this season being right on 'schedule' for this area of the states...i think the turkeys will be heavy into their transitional phase for us New Yorkers to call up some nice gobblers...

I went out after work this evening...figured i'd find the birds close to their roost sites but wasnt ready for what happened...i was walking along the edge of a gut listening and checking the wet ground for tracks and when i turned the corner to climb up and glass the small opening i know is a late day strutting zone...right there, on the edge of the ridge was the biggest boss gobbler i'd ever seen...full strut and just parading himself for the girls...he had some younger toms with him and would gobble at almost every crow caw...that ol' boy was closed mouth tho....but OHHH MANNNN!!!...was he awesome to see.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:57 PM

Thinks are looking really good up here in Delaware county!
The flocks are beginning to break up in smaller breeding groups, and most groups have a gobbler servicing them.
They are also beginning to move out of the valleys and onto the ridges, mostly following the shoots that are beginning to poke through the leaves and the bugs, which are beginning to hatch.
The gobblers are really warm, and are shock gobbling at car horns, farm equipment, etc, etc.
Overall, I am really amped that the hens are going to mostly be bred, and that those gobblers will be coming into my shotgun very eagerly
But..until then, it is off to Virginia on Thursday
Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 PM

woooaa mann..the turkeys are goin crazy here in dutchess county..their gobblin at everything..today i went out to do some scoutin and i accidently called in the biggest tom ive ever seen..had toi be 25 pounds with a paint brush beard that was almost hittin the ground..and i aint lyin..i almost cried..he came in struttin and drummin to bout 10 yards..it was unbelievable...hes the only bird on the menu comin this may
Old 04-10-2006, 09:14 AM

awesome guys, thanks so much for all the input. i figured this season would look could, cuz at least down here on the island the winter was mild. now all we need is a dry, warm spring! i also wanted to ask you guys if you know of any good public land parcels near you. my dad and i are kinda in a jam this season we dont really know where we are gonna hunt this spring and we could use all the help we could get. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks again guys, and be safe!!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

campo, what area of delaware county are you in? I belong to a hunting camp in the andes are on the pepacton res. i hope to be up there either the 2nd or 3rd weekends in May to do some morning turkey hunting followed by some afternoon trout fishing on the res. Only hope the weather will hold out.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Man thats good to hear, i have been looking from the car and havent seen any! My dad doesnt hunt so he thinks scouting is a waste of time, and me being only 15 i cant drive. Im going out the 22nd or 23rd for the youth turkey hunt with a guy i know on private land so hopefully i will get my first bird next weekend!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

good luck Adirondack hunter, I'm 17 but luckily my dad hunts w/ me, hope you can get a long bird on the youth hunt
Old 04-10-2006, 06:45 PM

adirondack hunter, i know how youfeel man. im young too and my dad doesnt hunt half as much as i would like to, hang in there though!!

deerslayer, its awesome to hear from another hunter my age. i hope you have an awesome season!! it would be awesome for both of you to stay in touch!!!