Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

smart old tom

Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default smart old tom

I have a question for about a tom I have tried to get for two years now. I know where they roost in a general area the birds always go out the same way that is every time that I have been there. I set out down below them and I never can get that tom to come to me. He will fan out and just keep fallowing the hens. Last year he would gooble and strut and keep on going. I have been out this opening weekend and he did the same thing but he never gooble this time just fan out and kept going. This is a small bunch of just 5 birds this spring. There are a few pockets of bird in these hills but not a over abundant of them. It has been cold and windy these first to days of the hunt. What should I do. Thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: smart old tom

One thing is he is following the hens so ya know hes henned up. I myself would cut him off if at all possible. I might never even blow a call. If ya know which way hes going just be there. Maybe use some decoys if you dont want to cut him off. You might even try to get aggressive with the hens and bring them to you. Then he will sure follow. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:01 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Arrowmaster thats what I tried to do this morning but where they leave the roost there isn't any palce to set up. It comes straight up from a wooded bottem and it is wide open. There is afew little dug outs or so that you could sit in but sure I would get busted. Your advice is about the onlything I can try. This area has alot of coyotes and they are more sneaky then the turkey I hunt on the river. Maybe just my thinking on that but sure does seem to me they are harder to get. Last year I was in this same place and had a coyote jump up from below me when I shot it it was 2.5 steps from my butt where I was sitting. It scared the heck out of me was luck I didn't shoot my toes off.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

How about a pop up blind? Have ya tried that. That coyote would have scared me as well.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:33 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Arrowmaster I need to read my posts over before I send them to many mistakes. Yes I do have one and will give it a try when my son is home next weekend. It is a long walk in there and I didn't want to drag it all in be myself but I will try it and let you how I did. Thanks for your help