Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 10 Below - One Smart Doe >

10 Below - One Smart Doe

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 Below - One Smart Doe

Old 12-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default 10 Below - One Smart Doe

I wanted to call this “10 Below Buck” but that’s going to be another story. Just when I thought I couldn't have a colder hunting experience, I went out on Sat. Night. My hunting buddy and I hemmed and hawed about the wind and the falling temps. We decided if it was windy and 10F or less we’d nix the hunting trip. At 1 pm. it was windy, 14F and dropping. What the hell we thought, this is the only time we had to hunt this weekend, might as well go sit it out. My goal was 1-1/2 hours, but 1 hour in and I was so cold, it was hard to think straight. Any deer in their right mind would stay bedded down until this wind blows itself out.... So sure enough same time, 10F colder, very little wind and the next day I’m sitting in the same stand. I’m much warmer (but the temps are colder) due to the decreased wind, as the end of daylight approached I heard a deer cautiously approach my stand - It took it’s sweet time as I tried to sit perfectly still, the shakes took over me, it was just a doe but the cold had creeped in and she was taking too much time checking the wind. I was shaking from the cold. I’m past my limit from the cold. Meanwhile the doe is looking, smelling, looking, taking a few steps. Here she is 20 yards away with twig city between us(no shot). So she decides to circle the stand (up wind to sent check)coming from the other direction. Now she’s 20 yards quartering toward me(still no shot) - I can’t wait much longer the lights fading and the cold is taking over. Now 20 yards and she’s facing right toward me. I contemplate it... But she makes the decision - She just doesn't like this situation - she bolts. She was one smart doe. I’m relieved and attempt to get my frozen body down from the tree. At least I saw one.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 Below - One Smart Doe

Wow now thats cold. It really is a good thing she bolted out of there when she did. If she had hung around very much longer it could have cause some real problems? Do you think you could have drawn the bow back as cold as you were and able to aim correctly shaking as bad as you were doing? It could have ended up in a bad hit and ending up in a long trailing job which could have been much worse. That doe just knew there was something not quite right and she was not going to hang around much longer to find out what it was? I am glad you guys are ok.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 10 Below - One Smart Doe

Congratulations deertale, you are the winner of the elusive and much coveted:

VC1111 COOL PHRASE OF THE WEEK AWARD

"Here she is 20 yards away with twig city between us(no shot)."

Sounds like a memorable hunt. Great story!