Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mouth call problems

Old 03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default mouth call problems

i have tried mouth calls before, and i cant even get them to sound bad, i cant make them sound like anything. Is this a problem that can be fixed? its probably just me. Also what is a really good mouth call, i lost the one i had before.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: mouth call problems

Primos Diamond yelper is what I learned on.

You just have to put them in your mouth like the package says.
Then whisper yelp yelp yelp.
Or whelp whelp whelp.

If that doesn't work
Whisper jeep jeep jeep.

The ones with clear laytex is easyer to use than the
Ones with the white laytex.
For me any way.

It took me several hours before I could make a sound.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck
Old 03-27-2006, 01:02 PM

First thing is dont swallow it, I am serious people do it. Next, where in your mouth are you placing it? It should be about half way back on the roof of your mouth. Take your tongue and feel for where th reeds are your tongue should stick past the reeds about a quarter of an inch. Your tone is effected by the amount of pressure you put on the reeds. The mouth call is the hardest call to master but dont give up. When your are practicing you are not trying to blow across the reeds you are kind of huffin and puffin over the call. I know hard to understand. Its kinda like foggin up glass with your breath. Try this while putting different amounts of pressure on the call.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Spike

Also make sure the call is sealed to the roof of your mouth, the air you are blowing out should be passing between your tounge and the call. Just try to to blow air out your mouth with the call sealed to the roof of your mouth. If the call is sealed to the roof of your mouth, you can't help but make a sound. It probably will be semi-high pitched, but if you can get that far, you are on your way. Then you need tounge pressure to get the yelps and cuts, etc. Make sure the call is properly wet in your mouth, that helps loosen the latex reeds and get a good seal to the roof of your mouth. Above all, keep trying.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a reason that we all don't sound like Mark Drury with a mouth call

It's going to take determination and practice!!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the help, ill give everything a try. I might have to wait to buy another call because im 15, no job, and i still have to buy turkey loads and a camo shirt, so hopefully i can getthe callbefore turkey season starts. i have a M.A.D. cherry bomb box call so ill use that.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Keep trying, but if you are constrained by costs and need to skip the mouth call for this season, go back to the store after the season or mid summer, there are usually a couple of calls on clearance by them...keep your eye on the local WalMarth the week after season for deals also.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Try trimming the tape. If that doesn't work, position the call on yourtongue and lift it straight up. After that just blow hard on the call and try to get a high note. There needs to be perfect positioning between the roof and tongue. Also, you need adequate air from diaphragm. It can be tough, but it's possible. Just keep practicing! Let me know if you have any problems. I've been in many turkey calling contests and placed extremely high, which one of them was 2nd in the world. I used the mouth call, but it took me a very long time to master the art of mouth calling. Take care bud and good luck!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

i just bought a three pack from gander mountain (kind of like cabelas, but smaller.) the H.S. Strut ultimate starter pack for $8. I can actually get them to sound pretty good. i cant really tell the difference between any of them though. hopefully by this turkey season i can get better, and hopefully i will get my first turkey!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe you have a narrow palet. Try the MiniMags from QuakerBoy.