Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Gobble Shaker for Scouting? >

Gobble Shaker for Scouting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobble Shaker for Scouting?

Old 03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gobble Shaker for Scouting?

I can't stand it anymore. I have another month before my season starts, but I've gotta get into the woods SOON. I don't hunt too close to where I live, so I won't really be able to keep tabs on the birds, but figured I'd at least get out to see if I can hear some gobbling and locate some roost sites. I plan to bring an owl hooter and my trusty crow call, but since the season won't start for a while, I figure I'm safe from other hunters if I use a gobble shaker to make one sound off. During the season, I won't be using one, so I'm not afraid about educating the birds to the gobble call. Does anyone use gobble calls for scouting? If not, why not. What about other locators? Just curious on your opinions.

Paul
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Gobble Shaker for Scouting?

Generally I like to avoid all turkey calls before season starts just because you never know when your calling will attract a turkey and then, in turn spook it.

I don't think for a second if you gobble a couple times to try to locate a bird on the roost that it will "mess him up" before the season. I just have plenty respond to owling on the roost and crow calls as well.

As for a gobble, it may not be the case often, but if you have a subordinate tom or two that has been whipped, it may make them avoid the area if they think a boss bird is in there.

If your turkeys are like mine, likely they will gobble on their own anyhow, especially in the mornings. Then you can make them gobble at owls, and crows, why gobble at them?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 PM

its ok to use it but not that much but i wouldnt use it come season opener.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

I seen a real nice tom today on my college campus. Im planning on callin in him next week to sharpen up my skills. we cant hunt on campus sadly, so it will not have any affect on anyone. He didnt seem too spooked when i stopped my car 40 yards from him showin off for his ladies at 1130am....got me pumped up! I think my case is the extreme where it really doesnt matter what i do to call them in, either way, he will live to see another year (atleast, he will be protected from me!)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Try to sound like a jake. Don't quite finish the gobble. Make them short and cut off sounding.