Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Choke Tube 835 ultra mag mossberg? >

Choke Tube 835 ultra mag mossberg?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke Tube 835 ultra mag mossberg?

Old 03-15-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Choke Tube 835 ultra mag mossberg?

Looking for a good choke tube for my mossberg ive tried the mad max and like it but i think i can do a little better i was wondering about a comp-n-choke for this gun has anyone tried it with the mossberg and also is the choke a .680 or a .670 i cant figure it out?THANKS FOR ANY HELP

HOPE TO SEE YA IN THE TURKEY WOODS
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Choke Tube 835 ultra mag mossberg?

I have the Madd Maxx in my 835 and with Winchester 2oz #5's in 3"...man, I can't imagine doing better....the pattern is unbelievable out to at least 55 yards...but every gun/choke is different..perhaps mine is special.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM

Man...all these posts about 835 choke-n-shell combos is really beginning to get out of hand.
Just to show you how one gun differs from another, I also tried the Mad Max w/ Win #5's 3oz, and the pattern left oh so much to be desired.
Every 835 is different, so grab the wallet and head to the store, cause finding that "perfect" pattern aint cheap
Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 PM

Throw thebudget away and just "do it".

For Nitro triplex Hevi-Shot 4x5x7 get a .695 Rhino

For Nitro Hevi-Shot 7s get the .680 Rhino.

My 835 puts 22 pellets in a 12oz can @ 60 lasered yards. We just did some multi-gun testing last weekend and both of the above loads/chokes in 835s and 935s were putting 350-420 pellets in a 12" circle @ 40yds. Even the 10ga BPS with 2.5oz 7 Nitros and .720 Rhino that we also shot couldn't do that!

I wouldn't use it for everything, but IMHO the 835/935 Mossy is THE best turkey gun on the market right now! Those 10ga backbores really deliver a payload.
RA
Old 03-15-2006, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Throw thebudget away and just "do it".

For Nitro triplex Hevi-Shot 4x5x7 get a .695 Rhino

For Nitro Hevi-Shot 7s get the .680 Rhino.

My 835 puts 22 pellets in a 12oz can @ 60 lasered yards. We just did some multi-gun testing last weekend and both of the above loads/chokes in 835s and 935s were putting 350-420 pellets in a 12" circle @ 40yds. Even the 10ga BPS with 2.5oz 7 Nitros and .720 Rhino that we also shot couldn't do that!

I wouldn't use it for everything, but IMHO the 835/935 Mossy is THE best turkey gun on the market right now! Those 10ga backbores really deliver a payload.
RA
Say what about getting taking out a loan for turkey loads?!

Rhino choke--->$110
5-Pak Nitro Triplex Shells---> $35
Knowing that you just emptied you wallet on 5 shells and a choke....priceless
There are some patterns money can buy, for everyone else, there is Federal FliteControl
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 PM

Campo before you go knockin the price of Rhino/Nitro perhaps you should see what all the fuss is about first. They are THE hottest thing on the market right now. You can't turn on the Outdoor Channel right now and watch a turkey show that isn't using them. "Nitro Ray" doesn't give them away or do much adveristing either. The mans product IS that danged good and because he uses top quality components and custom loading techniques (his shot coating and buffering is different than anyone elses) of course his product costsa little more.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. My customers are RAVING and standing in line for the Rhino/Nitro combos and it's not because it's the latest fad or style. It's because by now most of them have seen the superior performance of this combo and are willing to pay for it. It's not like you are going to use a flat of shells each season anyway, those 5-10 shells will last your possibly until nextyear. I tell everyone to sight in their red dot/adjustable sights with old turkey loads or even field loads at about 20-30 yds and then just try 1 or 2 Nitros at 40-60yds and you are finished.

Since when did paying for premium equipment become a joke? I suppose those of us who own Swarovski scopes and Sako rifles are idiots as well? Some of us have our wives trained, not the other way around!!!

RA
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they are. I like my Undertaker, but looking at the Star Dot to see what it will do![8D]
Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 AM

Since when did paying for premium equipment become a joke? I suppose those of us who own Swarovski scopes and Sako rifles are idiots as well? Some of us have our wives trained, not the other way around!!!

RA
Since the 90's, when all hunting equipment got all high tech and costs way more than it should.
Yeah, most people I know who own Swarowski and Sakos are a joke, though some are good hunters, many could get by with lesser equipment. Know alot of people who make do, and better than most, with 100$ scopes and 300$ rifles.
And for those of you who have your wives trained, while I am envious, I have a family planned and a house to pay for, until I hit the lottery hunting is a privilidge.
Campo
Ps. Please tell me, why does one shell of the Nitros cost as much as a WHOLE box of my flitecontrols....if you can justify that I would be impressed.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Campo

RA
Since the 90's, when all hunting equipment got all high tech and costs way more than it should.
Yeah, most people I know who own Swarowski and Sakos are a joke, though some are good hunters, many could get by with lesser equipment. Know alot of people who make do, and better than most, with 100$ scopes and 300$ rifles.
And for those of you who have your wives trained, while I am envious, I have a family planned and a house to pay for, until I hit the lottery hunting is a privilidge.
Campo
Ps. Please tell me, why does one shell of the Nitros cost as much as a WHOLE box of my flitecontrols....if you can justify that I would be impressed.
I am new to the board and also new to the turkey scene, I am not trying to take sides but I have to agree with campo. Hunting is a priviledge to me, my family (wife and child) come first along with there needs my hunting comes somewhere down the road. But I promise you just because I don't have my priorties wacked up as some of you seem to I still enjoy the hunting scene and seem to be doing just fine with a hand me down button tip sight mossberg 500 and federal flight shot, infact when it comes down to a dead bird mine vs. yours no one is even going to care with what gun-shot combo they SHOULD just be concerned with "man that was a nice kill" "congratulations" so before this turns into a pointless argument over some overpriced/underpriced STUFF know that not everyone has the extra money to buy the latest greatest equipment but we all still enjoy the sport. I mean heck 99% of all my hunting gear comes from wal-mart or k-mart clearance racks from the previous seasons and many years I have gotten some very nice kills/trophy shots.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 PM

i have found thru numerous testing of chokes and loads that my best results by far have been with the ultiful choke that came with it(.695) and the 3.5" win xtended #6's. i'm getting 240 hits ina 10" circle at 34 yards.

no lead loads were comparable to to hevi13, win extended or rem hevi shot that past couple years.