Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 tightest choke tube for Mossberg... >

tightest choke tube for Mossberg...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tightest choke tube for Mossberg...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default tightest choke tube for Mossberg...

I just got a smoking deal ona Mossberg 535 12 ga. I haven't done much research yet, but I'm going to try to get the tightest choke tube possible. Does anyone have any recommendations or prior experience with Mossbergs? Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: tightest choke tube for Mossberg...

Tighter isn't always better, when you pinch that shot string down too tight, they scatter...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a triple x on mine and patterned it this past weekend, optimal is 30-35 yards but still had average 10 shot hit at 60, not that I would make the shot. Target wasn't even recognizable at 20. Have to be careful at close range and remember to aim at base of neck
Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canuck....what kind of choke you shooting? Are you shooting Mossberg also?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg 835 tactical turkey with a XXX choke, it shoots 3 1/2's which trust me rock the snot out of you when the bark but they stretch the barrel for sure and will make a serious jelly head
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zubba
I just got a smoking deal ona Mossberg 535 12 ga. I haven't done much research yet, but I'm going to try to get the tightest choke tube possible. Does anyone have any recommendations or prior experience with Mossbergs? Thanks
What kind of ammo are you planning on shooting?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not married to anything yet. I plan to do some testing. I got a chance to look a little closer at the gun...it currently has a factory XX-Full choke .670 I believe. So it probably shoots descent now. If I get a new choke, I will likely go with an XX-Full aftermarket or a XXX-Full.

Currently I shoot Winchester High Velocity 3" through my other 12 ga with a XX-Full choke and can hold a nice pattern out to 40 yards. Any recommendations of brands. JellyHead, Indian Creek, Kicks, ???.

Maybe another question is....if reading reviews from on Cabelas website about a particular choke...and reading that someone also shooting a 535 had very bad results....is the same to be expected with all/most 535? Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zubba

I'm not married to anything yet. I plan to do some testing. I got a chance to look a little closer at the gun...it currently has a factory XX-Full choke .670 I believe. So it probably shoots descent now. If I get a new choke, I will likely go with an XX-Full aftermarket or a XXX-Full.

Currently I shoot Winchester High Velocity 3" through my other 12 ga with a XX-Full choke and can hold a nice pattern out to 40 yards. Any recommendations of brands. JellyHead, Indian Creek, Kicks, ???.

Maybe another question is....if reading reviews from on Cabelas website about a particular choke...and reading that someone also shooting a 535 had very bad results....is the same to be expected with all/most 535? Thanks again.
Those Winchester HV 3" #6's are a good load, and they like to be choked tight for the most part.
Be careful on those reviews at Cabelas.....they dont offer much detail as to what choke/load combo they were using. As we all know chokes can really shine with different loads, and conversely they really suck with other ones.
If you plan on sticking with lead Kicks makes a very nice choke. If you are going heavier than lead Indian Creek is the one to beat....having said that there are a ton of chokes out there that will give you turkey killing performance.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Win supremes HV3 1/2's #6's and get great patterns, I have also shot the 3's with the same results
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Canuck33

Mossberg 835 tactical turkey with a XXX choke, it shoots 3 1/2's which trust me rock the snot out of you when the bark but they stretch the barrel for sure and will make a serious jelly head

FYI - Unless I'm mistaken the 835 has an overbored barrel (certain about this because I own one)and the 535 is thde standard barrel diameter. Completely different gun and the chokes aren't interchangable. That overboard 10 gauge barrel on the 835 really shines when shooting the high volume 3.5" loads because the shot can spread out more and doesn't need to be excessively choked.

Frequently one finds that standard boar 12 gauges shoot 2 oz 3" loads better than the 3.5" higher shot volume loads.

Quick Reply: tightest choke tube for Mossberg...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.