Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purring

Old 03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Purring

Can anyone try to explain how to purr with a diaphram call? i dont quite get how to do it, from the directions on the package.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Purring

I know where your coming from. I can't make a purr with a mouth call either. Everything else is fine though. I assume you trill with your tounge to get the sound. I can't do that with or without a call in my mouth. If there is another way I would also like to know. I mean, I'm still going to kill turkeys if I don't purr, but I would like to know how anyway.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

It is much easier on a slate. To do it on a diaphram you have to vibrate the tip of your tongue very fast but very soft, which is hard to do. I can do it, but rarely if ever do it with the mouth call when hunting. Always the slate, which, on my call, sounds pretty darn close (OK, identical :-) ) to a live hen.

My Dad and I often hunt together and I've had the good fortune of doing the calling from a position behind him and watching him take several birds. In these situations I'm not worried about getting a gun up so I can keep the slate in my hand the entire time, so purring and soft clucking becomes my call of choice. I've always thought that it is a call that tells the gobbler everything is OK, come on in.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM

First of all this will seem like the blind leading the blind because I cannot purr very well on a mouth call, although I might be able to help you a little!!lol. First off, you want to try and do it on the right call, and although many guys can purr on about anything, you will need more help from the call to begin. Get you a call that is a "batwing" cut. Its bascially two half moons that come to a point in the middle of the top reed. Take both hands and draw it like i described if that helps visualize. To purr, it is basically making the noise like rolling the "r' in spanish.

Your best bet is just to get the right call and then just play with it enough to start to purr. Alot of call makers will build and cut calls like you want them so call one or 2 up and tell them your trouble and get them to send you something to try. Good luck...
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM

try blowing a long stretch of air over your call....but instead of trilling your tongue...flutter your lips...like your making a horse sound...work at it till you can slow it down like a purr...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

k thanks, ill have to try those
Old 03-15-2006, 06:09 PM

I was able to belt out some nasty, and I mean nasty, fighting purrs over the last few days...practice makes perfect.
The best I can describe it is that it comes from the throat (rolling r's), the tongue, and the lips (dont be afraid to chuck some saliva, the birds dont care).
Just try to make everything, ahem, vibrate...
Old 03-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Best thing is to get a good hard purr like Campo just described. Once you get the "feel" then you be able to slowly develop a softer purr with different tones.

I sat watching TV and "gargled" while fluttering my tongue. I just did this and didn't try to make a purr with the call. The call at first just kind of got in the waybut all of sudden I'm sitting thereand realized that I was getting used to doing those with the call in my mouth. ThenI realizedI was actually starting to purr with the call itself.

Don't know if that makes sense or not. Good luck......
Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've been using mouth calls for i don't know how long and i can't do a very good purr. my neighbor doesn't even like doing them with a mouth call, he does it without a call. i don't really have any pointers though sorry.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:14 PM

I couldn't ever get the hang of it by doing the way the "experts" say do it. What I do is do the same thing I do when I gargle my mouth out with mouth wash. Just push air up from your throat until you get a "roaring" sound coming fromit.Your throat will viberate, which makes the reeds viberate. Makes great purrs.

I agree that I am one of those people who have a certain call for purrs.