Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Purring with a diaphram... >

Purring with a diaphram...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Purring with a diaphram...

Old 03-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Purring with a diaphram...

I typically prefer my slate calls over any of my other calls....mainly because I have had real good luck with it, I'm comfortable with it, and it puts out a great sound.

However, there are sometimes I would like to free up my hands and go with a diaphram...especially when I have a bird working his way in. The only thing that prevents me from using my diaphrams more is I struggle with the purr (which I love to call when I got a Tom coming in). Clucks, yelps, kee kee, putts I can handle no problem, but the purr gets me.

I can create a purr, but not consistantly. I blow lightly through the reed and loosen my lips so they flutter (like a motor boat sound). This result for me isn't consistant and sometimes I can hear the motorboat sound behind the purr. (not to mention all the spit that comes out). Is this how everyone else purrs with a diaphram or does anyone do anything differentyou could pass along to help out? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default RE: Purring with a diaphram...

I am just getting at trying a mouth call so am in no way in the position to give advice of mine but here is what I've heard are some differant options forgetting apurr. Try (1) fluttering the lips like you mention (2) get that motorboat sound to from back in the throat (Some people can dothis and some can't) or (3) instead of fluttering the lips flutter the tongue, it feels like it's fluttering against the roof of your mounth and the diaphram
Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I've tried purring with my diaphram forever and it tickles the heck out of the roof of my mouth. I have to stick with my slate! Good luck!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one call that I am just not able to do with a diaphram. I am way to inconsistent and it doesn't sound very good to me at all...I will stick with the slate for this call
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

To get a good purr, I have to cut down the tape on my diaphragms - not much, maybe 1/16".

Just get it cut back to the point where you can slide it an extra 1/4" deeper into your mouth without gagging.

It takes hours and hours of practice, but you'll just need to roll your tongue against the call and the roof of your mouth.

It's not exactly the same as if you were to make a "Rolling RRRRR" sound (without the call in), but it's really close.

The key for me was cutting the tape, but don't cut it too much, or you won't get a good seal around the back, and it will just sit loose on top of your tongue, with air passing over both sides. It has to be a perfect fit. Try this first with some old calls that you're ready to scrap.

If you can master the purr, you can move on to the fighting purr, which is much more aggressive with clucks and putts interspersed in the sequence. After that, you can start to master the gobble, which is darn near impossible.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM

This is one call I had trouble with for years until I was just messing around one day.

Does everyone understand what I mean when I ask, can you make the motor boat sound with your lips?

Using the same amount of pressure with your tongue that you do with any of the other calls, vibrate your lips together lightly and make the motor boat sound.

It still takes a bit of practice, but it isn't as difficult as trying to gargle with the call like I've been told by some of the pros.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spent about 3 months before the 06 season perfecting the purr on a diaphram. I tried the motorboat thing and it didnt work right for me, same problems as others mentioned.

The trick for me was starting with a single reed and trying to purr like a cat out of the side of my lips. I did this in short bursts until I had it down. It produced a very consisitent sound and was easy to control. After a lot of practice I have moved past the single reed and can purr with almost any diaphram. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

I can purr with my diaphram call. I do use the motorboat hehehe when I purr. It definetly takes a lot of practice. I also cut the tape down on my calls. Easier to manage. Also remember to throw a cluck in before you purr or after you purr. That is one trick I have found to help lure a gobbler into range...
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know it's pretty hard to explain to people how to make certain calls with a mouth call... All I can say is to practice, practice until you think you've got down...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Washington Hunter,I think you just helped me immensley. I'm having trouble producing the motor boat from the throat (I don't think I really understood) but the gargling thing from back there makes sense to me and that I can do all day long, thanks.

Quick Reply: Purring with a diaphram...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.