Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 help on mouthcall purring >

help on mouthcall purring

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

help on mouthcall purring

Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default help on mouthcall purring

i feel im a really good turkey caller, but i cant master the purr for the life of me on a mouth call..i do it great w/ a glass and a box call but not the mouth. i try the lip fludder thing and can get sort of a purr out but it dosen't sound that good. i was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me master this call. thank you very much if you can.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help on mouthcall purring

I know some that flutter their lips to make a purr sound....but I make my purrs with more of a gargling effect. It's a technique not easily described in text. It takes a little practice, but just keep trying and it will come.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 PM

videos say to flutter lips and say "brit" or "briiiiiiit".

this ends the purr on a high note. I found it relatively easy to master. I cannot do the gargling thing...

Use pressure of tongue to change pitch. I like a little higher pitch that actually drops in tone at the end. This is the sound I have heard turkeys make in the wild more than ending on a high note. So I usually just say "brrrrrrr" and drop tone at end.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I use a controlled gargle.

like Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2005, 12:07 AM

Try this: as you flutter your lips, press your toungue lightly against the call. Don't jam it up the roof of your mouth, but do not simply flutter your lips and let your toungue rest, either. Put light pressure right where the roof of your mouth starts to go upward to your pallete. Does that location make sense? You know, right where you pop your toungue when doing a yelp. Also, throw in some clucks with that purr and get a good natural sound. Its one of my favorite combos for calling with another caller. If your clucking and purring and yelping alongside a buddy caller, you get the effect of more than one hen. Good luck. You'll get the purr down. -MIKE
Old 03-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Ever hear quail fly? Flutter your tongue and make that sound. Ok now put your reed in your mouth and do the same thing. It works better than anything I have found. This is what I teach at calling seminars.
Gselkhunter
Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had more trouble clucking than purring
Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 AM

I cam make sounds with mine but my yelps aint so great. Purring was easy for me...I just like iduno how to explain it.. I guess like they said "gargle" it.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I practice I can do it no problem. I get a Tom in fromt of me I can't get a purr to save my life.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the help guys, im trying it right now.. and im starting to get a bit of a purr out.. im going to practice it everyday, till i get it.. im having better luck w/ the flutter than the gargle.. i wasent using my tongue right before i was trying to do it more w/ my lips. thanks again

Quick Reply: help on mouthcall purring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.