Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Swamps are a great place to hunt next to. >

Swamps are a great place to hunt next to.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Swamps are a great place to hunt next to.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Swamps are a great place to hunt next to.

I have taken one of my biggest bird hunting next to a swamp. If you think about it, swamps provide great protection from other predators. Birds will come to the swamps and fly up in the trees that are surrounded by water. I have seen many turkeys in swamps and swamp areas. It also provides water for them and there are many insects around a swamp. Has any other people had any luck around swamps.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Swamps are a great place to hunt next to.

ORIGINAL: countrymudder

I have taken one of my biggest bird hunting next to a swamp. If you think about it, swamps provide great protection from other predators. Birds will come to the swamps and fly up in the trees that are surrounded by water. I have seen many turkeys in swamps and swamp areas. It also provides water for them and there are many insects around a swamp. Has any other people had any luck around swamps.

Yes you are correct! Turkeys love swamps. If there is one were I am hunting that's were I will be!
Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM

in Fla. 9 out of 10 gobblers are taken in or around swamps.at least in north central Fla. where I hunt.I can say 9 of 10 I have taken were in swamps.cypress ponds and river swamps.
ever so often you will find one in the pines.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM

yea countrymudder all the turkeys ive seen where around a swamp except were we hunt now. but at the 900 me and you have seen mort of them around our old duck huntin swamp
Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

swamps are great places to hunt turkeys. they're open so they can see and the water makes it easy to hear predators. there are also plenty of large trees to roost in. swamp hunting is how i learned to turkey hunt. it's definately a cool way to hunt.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM

I HATE EM, but for other reasons. Sure turkeys LOVE swamps, for much the same reasons deer do as well. But hunting deer in swamps is MUCH easier than hunting birds IMHO. My family has land in TN and MS both that have swampie bottoms in them and I all but quit chasing birds in those areas. If it isn't the "state bird sized" mosquitos it's the umpteen cottonmouths, if it aint the snakes it's the birds hanging up on every creek, slough or riverbank between them and you. I can't tell you how many timesI have "high wire walked" a fallen down tree in the dark trying to get over a riverbed or slough that was to deep to wade. All the while I could hear the snakes dropping off the limbs into the water below (or so I hoped) [:'(].

Don't get me wrong, if that was all I had I would still go. But I have other alternatives and those are danged well what I use. Gimme hills, ridges and terrain to work with and I am a happy camper!
RA
Old 03-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i totally agree, hoping that is where i take my big boy..........we'll find otu saturday , woooohoooooooooooooo .........but that might change, lastnight, i roosted 7 differetn birds, i wanted to see about roosting the big boy, i didnt see him, but i saw many others and i'd have to hunt the bird i roosted first....hopefully tomorrow evening he'll let me see him