Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Is our turkey sitting on fertilized eggs? >

Is our turkey sitting on fertilized eggs?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is our turkey sitting on fertilized eggs?

Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is our turkey sitting on fertilized eggs?

We live on a small farm in Michigan. We have chickens, ducks and one domestic turkey hen (although she looks like a wild turkey). Anyway, about 2 weeks ago we discovered that she is sitting on a nest with a clutch of eggs almost around the clock. We have a lot of wild turkey's around and as a matter of fact, there were two gobblers crusiing by this morning. We're wondering if maybe these are fertilized eggs she's sitting on. Seems awfully early for any turkey's to be mating. You think these eggs will hatch or is it just wishful thinking?

Chris[/align]
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is our turkey sitting on fertilized eggs?

Are you sure there turkey eggs???
Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, they're turkey eggs. I've heard some guys seeing gobblers strutting already.

Chris
Old 03-10-2006, 07:24 AM

you should find out soon. if you discovered this 2 weeks ago they should hatch or start rotting soon. i think the incubation time is around 25-30 days. i also think you would have seen your hen with the toms for several days if she was being bred. she may just be 'clucky' and sitting on unfertilized eggs. let us know what happens.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how many people have hunted these turkeys and swear there hunting wild turkeys
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that old-fashioned farm turkeys were not all white and did look alot like wild birds. Neighboring farms often had different strains and could tell one farmers turkeys from anothers. I wonder if thats true?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:25 AM

they will hatch in 28 days if fertile.it only takes once to have fertile eggs.maybe she was a behind the barn hen.

if she doesn't hatch in the 28 days. break up the nest and put her outside and maybe one of the wild toms will breed her yet.be sure you distroy the nest or she will go back to it and keep trying.after a mo. of nesting she will be poor and if she doesn't get off and build hereslf up she will not be able to produce another nest.

she will be ready to bring you some 1/2 wild chicks.

good luck with her
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Spike

Our turkey, Percy, is sitting on a clutch of her eggs for about 2 1/2 weeks now and we don't have a Tom. We do however have many wild turkey's visiting but I have never seen them in the area she is in. I am somewhat worried about her not exercising her legs for so long, as she is quite heavy. I am sure her eggs are not fertile. How long should I allow her to sit? Would appreciate any input or advice.