Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Making the wrong call... >

Making the wrong call...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Making the wrong call...

Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making the wrong call...

he seen you make the call or you made the alarm put......first day last year i called in a longbeard straight off the roost...picture perfect...cut hayfield infront of me...but i went 50yds down in the woods and set up..could see the field...and infront of me was a clearing...ferns ect..woods to my right...open woods to the left...he came through the field on a string gobbling his head off..to about 40yds in the large opening...strutting and gobbling like a king....good 5 mins i waited...could killed him no problem....but what a sight that was....waiting waiting waiting.....then another bird came higher in the hay field above him and RAN through the woods STRAIGHT to me....i could seriously poked him with my barrel no joke....i had both my legs up or he would have stepped on my legs....it was a jake...and i dont want to shoot a jake...exspecially on opening day right off the roost.....he got in my face for a good minute or more.....starring into my eyes...he KNEW where them hen sounds came from.....the longbeard came down to 25-30yds i could see him coming to whoop the jakes but....both gobbling and going nuts still....the jake would walk a few feet away and walk in circles and gobble....i couldnt move...couldnt blink...and didnt..tears rolled down my face...after so long i thought my eyes were going to be stuck open.....i HAD to blink....while he was starring into my eyes....PUTT....run a few feet..PUTT....first putt the big bird was GONE.....he snuck right out of there soon as he heard that.....he was gone too quick to get a shot.....smart bird he would been toast if he hung around!! sorry for the long story..but he did NOT see me move...the jake putted.....longbeard snuck out REAL QUICK.....crazy...i figured he would hang around long enough for me to get off a shot.....
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Making the wrong call...

Well,I'd like to think I'm a seasoned hunter,but you can be humbled at any time.I will say that is the first time I had a Big Tom that close,and had to call,generally they are in range when I see them.So it very well may be.Well,More experience in my book,and his!No one got this bird(legally atleast),b/c I saw him the weekend after,while hog hunting.So,I know a good spot to check out this year!Thanks for the insight guys.You never know what mistakes you might make,or have made,and it helps to have others on the outside looking in.I will definately make some adjustments next time.