Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 what did i do wrong/am i making a good choice >

what did i do wrong/am i making a good choice

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what did i do wrong/am i making a good choice

Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Default what did i do wrong/am i making a good choice

hey im from southeastern kentucky and the coyotes up here are pretty smart...like today for instance i went hunting and was calling with my extreme dimension phantom predator call for bout 30 minutes and i didnt see nuthin so i howled once with my randy anderson howler and when i did i saw a yote running up the road in front of me then over the hill and i have no clue what i done wrong if anyone knows please tell me. also im looking at getting a 204 for coyotes and i was wondering if that was a good idea?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Default RE: what did i do wrong/am i making a good choice

From what i hear the .204 does a lot of damage, i am going to ber buying one for my Encore. I am not sure on your Coyote question cause i dont know how to hunt them.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

For coyotes, I would recommend a little larger caliber, probably a .22 centerfire, like a .223 or .22-250. Smaller bullets may limit your shot opportunities.

Sounds like the coyote came in, sniffed you out, and then left. Always try to find a spot where you have good visibility, especially downwind. You want to set up so that youlocate the coyote before he locates you.

Sinceyou didn't shoot at him, you may have a little better luck calling him in the next time. It's easier to call them back in if they weren't shot at the last time they came in. Give him a while to forget, then try a different call and try him again.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:31 PM

The 204 is definately not going to do much pelt damage to coyote sized game. From the fox and nutria I have shot with my 204 so far, there has been very little pelt damage unless they were gut shot. I've been shooting hornady v-max in 32 grain and the bullet basically hits and fragments upon entering the animal. Usually all you have is an extremly small entrance hole and thats it. From my experience with the 204 thus far I would be extremely comfortable shooting it at coyotes allthough i might shoot a heavier bullet like the 40 graion v max or shoot some of the rouns loaded with the xtp bullets. The 204 makes an excelent varmint /predator gun and it is laser flat out past 300 yards. When I shoot my 204 all i can say is "SWEET!"
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM

22-250 will do as much, if not more damage to a coyote pelt thatn a .204. It is all about the load and the bullet that will speak more damage than others. When I use my .308 or .338 for instance, I tend to stick with more solid bullets and not ballistic tips or too soft of lead tips. If I am not worried about the hide, or if I can spot disease through my spotting scope, that I will throw out the ballistic tip or super shock tips. Same thing with the .204. Selection with the ammo, bullet placment, and wind direction will play a part in penetration, accuracy, and other wants.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 AM

The coyote was probably sneaking in and trying to wind you and when you went from your eCaller to the Howler he probably spoted you and took off.

I personally use .243 Win for coyote but that is just me - i know a lot of people who swear by .22-250 - there are a bunch of good calibers for coyotes. I have never used a .204 so I really couldn't say on it.