Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Making the wrong call... >

Making the wrong call...

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Making the wrong call...

Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Making the wrong call...

I was slippin' along a longearth bermthrough a stand of open pines where I knew gobblers liked to strut.I saw a big tom strutting.I backed up layed down,and eased down the opposite side.I crept down 85yds.I stripped off my vest(Didn't want to look like a humpback with the decoys,and make noise with some of the calls),got my favorite call,and eased back up the edge of the hump,and peeped over.
He was still there strutting.I waited until he was facing away or behind trees,and inch by inch got back on top of the dirt.Belly down and gun ready.He was about 65yds.I got settled in,and watched him strut for awhile.He was on the edge of my shooting range.

I knew I might be able to get him,but didn't want to wound the bird,and also had taken a few,so I wasn't going to be greedy.I decided to call to get him to come closer.He gobbled at me a few times,and then went to feeding around,and strutting more.All together about 40 minutes went by,and he only moved side to side back and forth inabout a 25yd section.He started responding a little better,and I was working him up..then I went to cluck,and it must have come out all wrong,because he folded up,ducked his head,and ran like the wind![:@]

He left me sitting there just going...What in the world?He won!Has anyone else made a mistake like this before.I'm almost scared to cluck anymore.[8D]I don't know why else he would have ran...[&:].I have taken several birds before,and this was a first for me.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!The only other thing I can figure is I was supposed to be at a B-day party @ 2pm,which meant I had to leave @ 1pm,and it was exactly 1pm when he ran off.He must have intercepted my wife's call @ 12pm when she was trying to motivate me to come on.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Making the wrong call...

Did ya cluck or did ya putt?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking I putted.[8D]I was gripping the striker,and call pretty hard.It all happened so fast.You know staring at a big boss tom @ 65 yards in full strut,and gobbling for nearly 45 minutes,tends to get the nerves loose,and make the hands sweat...I guess I'm the only one who has ever made the wrong call...You would think I had time to calm down,but I guess not.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Actually think back....how well could he see youor see movement? How ell where you concealed?

I personally don't think it was the call you made alone but a combination of things...Movement will make em run everytime!

I have called poorly or tried to offer another call variaton whether it was a mouth call along with my box or a new call to bring in Toms.....and have had total lockjaw at times when I do - it as like I flipped a switch..Total silence! .What did I do?

Went back to what worked and I mean pronto! Has always saved the day.......

but when a bird sees movement - U B busted!

JW
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well,you could be on to something.I might have been drawing his attention more than before(since he was answering me),and maybe he sky lined me at the top of the earth berm.[]He may have seen my head(I had a facemask on),but I was laying flat other than that.Maybe so!Hey,that makes me feel better about my calling skills anyways.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You may have not moved or thought at least you didn't....but ya gotta consider this.....

Birds have become nervous on my set-ups...cause they saw me blink!

When I stopped blinkin'...made my eyes water....they went back about their business......

Again my point is movement is the key.....movement out of the ordinary...what doesn't fit in their natural surroundings - U B busted!

JW
Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either way, what an exciting hunt.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:40 PM

ranchand99 ; have they already started strutting and gobbling in Ga.? man , thats early.

I do think movement is what busted you.most times a put will only make there head go up for a min.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Usually they are by mid-late feb,depending on weather.But this hunt took place last year.Deer,and Turkeys start early here.Our season starts Mar. 25th.Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could of been a combination of both there fellas.65 yards a turkey could easily have seen you move evenin the best of camo,if you called to him while he was starin in your direction or right at ya!One of the biggest mistakes new hunters make is calling to a bird that is looking right at your set-up!There ability to pinpoint sound and not see what they expect to be there can send them packing or quartering away!Been there done that...[:-]

Quick Reply: Making the wrong call...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.