Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Trying to get into turkey hunting need some help please >

Trying to get into turkey hunting need some help please

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Trying to get into turkey hunting need some help please

Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Trying to get into turkey hunting need some help please

Hey guys. Well im trying to take up turkey hunting and i need some help. I just want to start off by asking which shotgun will you guys recommend and how those all that of getting another choke and stuff work. I have no experience in turkey hunting and im starting from 0 now. So i want to start off by the weapon. Any information will be greatly appretiated. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Trying to get into turkey hunting need some help please

Lots of variables here. It depends on your preference; go to a sporting goods store (not Wally's) and try shouldering and pointing a few. The two most common types used around here are the pump and semi-automatic. Usually in the 12 ga. version with 3" mag. shells. Most shotguns now come with screw in choke tubes, and from the factory they are usually modified chokes.

For turkey hunting you want either a full or extra full choke. The tubes usually require a wrench to remove and install new tubes, unless they are extended past the barrel. You can usually buy the chokes wherever you purchase the gun. Most any of the major gun maufacturers make god shotguns: Remington, Winchester, Browning, Mossberg to name a few.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Ditto to the post from Criggster. I would also like to say that there are many posts that are on this forum that have the same subject matter about begining turkey hunting. I suggest reading up as much as possible. Try not to be influenced my others when they say" this is what I do, and that is the way you should too". As for the weapon, try to not get all confused on guns with all sorts of gadgets on them with a high price tag. You can find a reall nice turkey gun as well as a all purpose gun under $500, even less with sales and promotions. Gear wise, I suggest starting on your camo( clothes and maybe a blind ) and call purchases first, then other gizmos later.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 PM

I agree with both of these guys.

Guns:

It doesn't take too much to kill a turkey, but A LOT and MOST of us over do it. Like me, I love a 10ga., but dead is dead. My 10ga. won't kill a turkey any deader than a 20ga. I just love a 10ga.

I would however buy a good QUALITY gun that will last a life time, IF you plan on hunting for a while. I like Brownings and Remingtons myself. My 10ga. is a NEW single shot. I haven't killed a turkey with it yet (just got it), but I love the way it feels. And it saved me lots of money. Mossberg also makes a good gun.

The Beretta family which includes Benelli are just too damn expensive for me.

As for calls and stuff, its all trial and error to see what you like best. Read some of these other posts, they may already answer a lot of the questions you have.

I would suggest a GOOD pair of boots! Lots of walking in the spring!!!!!