Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

help us decide

Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default help us decide

My dad and I are considering buying a trail cam. We are going to split the cost so price,while important, isn't the biggest factor. We both have different ideas for uses.

I want a camera for scouting only. It will be a trail watcher. I don't have any foodplots or bait stations to watch. A fast trigger and quick recovering camera would be needed.

My dad wants to try to catch people dumping carcasses. Evrery year, during first week of rifle season, people are dumping carcasses in the same places. We figure we know who they are but can't proove it. For this we need a no flash type camera for stealth. Trigger and recovery isn't as important because they are around for a bit. Sensing area is though.

The reasearch I've done points to the Reconyx line of cameras.

What other cameras are out there that you could recommend? Only cams I've eliminated are buckeye (due to price), new Moultries(not as well liked as older version), and Cuddeback (poor performance on NoFlash and worse customer service).

I've read a lot at chasingame.com and trailcampro.com but looking for more opinions.

What about Spypoint, Recon, or Leaf River models?

If we do decide of the Reconyx is the RM55 worth the extra 100 just for color day pics or would the mono RM45 be fine?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cartman308
Old 12-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help us decide

moultrie i40 great for both of you
Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

cartman308,

I really think you have done your homework and really answered your own question. If you have looked at the different detection zones that are displayed on trailcampro.com, I really don't see where you could pick anything else. I plan on purchasing a Reconyx in the upcoming year, if the "boss" will allow it, and I am going for the 55 model. It not onlytakes color pics during the day but is also a higher res. camera. One more thing though, unless you are placing it in a place that you positively trust, I would invest in some sort of lock box for it. I would be nervous knowing I had a $500 bill strapped to the side of the tree with no security. By the way, I have seen them for a little less than the going price from time to time on ebay. Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the price of the Reconyx RC55 you can buy two Scoutguard 550's, 2 security boxes with Python cables and still have money left over. They are a lot smaller than the Reconyx too.
Reconyx are awesome cameras and have rediculous triggers but they cost waay tooo much compared to other great cameras that are currently available.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info guys

I am very worried about the hanging 5 billls to a tree and leaving it for a couple weeks at a time. It'll primarily be used on a hunting lease "semi-private" land. I'll definatly leave it locked up with at least a python, whatever camera we decide on.

The only thing i worry about with a lockbox type device is making the camera more ovbious. I'd like to figurea way to actually bolt the camera to the tree as well as just chaining it up.

Once hunting season starts up and people start prowling out lease then the camera would come down. Dont want to take that kind of chance.

The Scoutguards are intriging. The reviews and opinions on the Reconyx are just amazing though.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Reconyx cams are spendy but there awesome cameras. I bought the RC60 because It doesn't have the red lights flashing for the IR pics. The trigger time Is awesome!!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Reconyx are definitely good cams. I personally would prefer the ScoutGuard SG550 because of its size. Very small and easy to conceal. Fast trigger. Alot of features for the money. A security box wouldnt make it much bigger and they come with some camo on it. It can be dressed to your environment. For the price you can get 2 of them and cover more ground (area). IMHO

Joe
Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cartman308

My dad and I are considering buying a trail cam. We are going to split the cost so price,while important, isn't the biggest factor. We both have different ideas for uses.

I want a camera for scouting only. It will be a trail watcher. I don't have any foodplots or bait stations to watch. A fast trigger and quick recovering camera would be needed.

My dad wants to try to catch people dumping carcasses. Evrery year, during first week of rifle season, people are dumping carcasses in the same places. We figure we know who they are but can't proove it. For this we need a no flash type camera for stealth. Trigger and recovery isn't as important because they are around for a bit. Sensing area is though.

The reasearch I've done points to the Reconyx line of cameras.

What other cameras are out there that you could recommend? Only cams I've eliminated are buckeye (due to price), new Moultries(not as well liked as older version), and Cuddeback (poor performance on NoFlash and worse customer service).

I've read a lot at chasingame.com and trailcampro.com but looking for more opinions.

What about Spypoint, Recon, or Leaf River models?

If we do decide of the Reconyx is the RM55 worth the extra 100 just for color day pics or would the mono RM45 be fine?

Thanks for any ideas.

Cartman308
The RC55 is worth the extra dollars because of the addition detail that you get from color photos. Keep in mind the IR is still visible. TheRC60 does not have a visible IR when it fires. I have hadan RC 55for about a year now. I bought anRM 45 about 2 months ago.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first pic is from the RM45 an second is from the RC55 night an RM 45 is day.The RM 45 started taking photoswhen he was on the left side of the detection range. Ther were about 5 photos of him. I deleted them.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

the thing that has me leaning to the Reconyx of the scoutguard is the recovery time.....instant versus 6-10 seconds....

does anyone have acutally pics of the red glow of the IR flash on the recon 45 and 55?? How noticable would the be to say a outlaw dumping a carcass?