Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP! >

JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP!

Old 05-31-2005, 05:21 PM

Default JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP!

well im 16 and my birthday is this saterday and i talked my mom into getting me a gun *cheap* gun around 300 bucks and i was looking at a remington 870 12 gauge and im hearing debate about you cant shoot coyote or coon and you can only shoot pheasant and duck and geese and stuff but i always thought you could and if its not reccomended then i was looking into getting a 22 rifle, this will be my first gun and iv shot a 12 gauge plenty of times so can someone help me out, i live in california right smack in the middle of the delta so theres alor of coon and coyote and pheasant so some one fill me in! thank you alot!!!
-spencer
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP!

juststarting, buy the Remington 870 12 ga.! You can hunt and kill all the game you mentioned and more. Later on, get a slug barrel and you can hunt deer. You may need to get a little closer for coyotes but that's what makes a great hunter.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont know if you have a Cabelas or a Bass Pro near, but I bought a sweet Rem 870 from Bass pro last year for $239!!!!! It was even the supermag that can shoot 3 1/2" shells. It really is a great gun for the price......you are right on the money as far as a first gun, a good shotgun will allow you hunt just about anything.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:32 PM

well can anyone give me an EXACT model and make of a remington 870 12ga.? and also where i can get it for cheap also i want a 3-3 1/2 inch shell holding like the last guy said and a 26-28 in barrel. thank you if anyone can find this i will be the happyest kid alive, and i have been doing my searching im not just havin you guys do all the searching haha thank you!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum.....is the 3 1/2 " version.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

juststarting, buy the Remington 870 12 ga.! You can hunt and kill all the game you mentioned and more. Later on, get a slug barrel and you can hunt deer. You may need to get a little closer for coyotes but that's what makes a great hunter.
exactly. like mossy said its the 870 express super mag that you're going to want to get the 3 1/2 low priced. it's a great gun i know someone who has the the turkey setup. he really likes the extended range.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:59 PM

I have killed at least a dozen turkeys with my 870 Super Mag, in conditions varying from sun to rain, hot to cold, crawling on my belly through sand, etc and so on.... I have yet to have it let me down...

As a disclaimer, I bought my 870 specifically to hunt turkey with, so I'm not able to speak as to their "all-aroundedness". But, I can definitely attest to their durability!!!!

On a side note, I weighed my 870 the other day (SPS-T camo, 23" barrel) fully loaded, with sling, tru-glo sights, etc..... Total weight 8lbs.

The weird thing is, I'd take shooting 3&1/2" turkey loads out of that thing over an afternoon bench session with any .30-06 out there..... shotgun recoil has never bothered me, but rifle recoil eats my lunch!!! Anybody else like that?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum.....is the 3 1/2 " version.

and if you can convince your parents to spend a tiny little bit more, get the Remington 870 Express Super Magnum COMBO
It comes with 2 barrels, a smooth barrel for shot and a rifled barrel for slugs, you will be able to hunt anything and everything in north america, legally.

Good Luck!!
and Happy birthday in advance!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 AM

870 will be a fine gun, I shot my first deer with my fathers old 870. just change the shot size for what you are hunting
Old 06-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

The 870 express synthetic is the way to go.
Never liten to closely to conversations about brandishing pricey semi auto Shotguns. I have a fairly expensive one and the 870 is the same when the shot leaves the barrel. Start with a pump and stay with one. I was ruined by starting with a semi auto. Good Hunting dude! EJ

Quick Reply: JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.