Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you decide when to ....... >

How do you decide when to .......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you decide when to .......

Old 09-26-2005, 06:46 PM

Default How do you decide when to .......

take your shot? Specifically, is there a conscious decision made that you can hit a specific spot on the deer at the range you are at with "near complete confidence"? Or is it a subconcious decision? In other words, how do you define your range that you willtake your shot? For example, do you have to feelsay 90% confident thatyou will hit within two inches of your pin? Or maybe 50% certain that you will hit within 4 inches? Or is it just a "I can't miss at this range" sort of feeling? I guess for me I will let it fly at an 80% confidence level that I will hit within 3 inches of the tuft of hair that I am aiming at, knowing that the remaining 20% will almost certainly be lethal but maybe require more tracking, etc.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 PM

Default RE: How do you decide when to .......

Man, that's a good one. I think for myself , i can't pick a hair or tuff of i always aim for the "armpit" as i call it about a 3" spot, any way it's usually when i know that it's a good angle and yardage and that the deer and myself are relaxed and i would say too 80 % cause it's never 100%..never really thought about it though. they always say talk yourself throughthe shot, but i can't hear over my heartbeat
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

well if I hunt on the edge of a field Ill grab a stick and pace off 20 yds and place the stick in that spot. once im in the stand Ill have an idea about where 20 yds is. In the woods I do the same but i pick a tree or a bush. Usually when I set my stand up in the woods I do this that way I know right from the get go.and when their just so close you can hear their heartbeat,you know its right
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Know your range ..thru practice..trial and error...once your range is established.(.rangefinder and stakes)and your confident ...understand that sweetspot...vitals..........and...............ITS KILLING TIME!!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because I practice out to 60 and 70 yards nearly every day. At least 10 - 15 arrows in the evening before dark.

So when that animal comes within 40 yards or so I know that I can make the shot and I pull the trigger as soon as the shot presents itself.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me 40 yards and under with a clear line he is done. First thing I do when in a new stand is hit landmarks with my rangefinder in the likely spots I will see deer. 20 yards and in for me is a no brainer. I can shoot him through the eye at that distance.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty much anything inside 30 with a clear good angle, standing still,I'll shoot. Most of my shots are in the 12-15 yds range so they are no brainers. I practice to 50, but like my shots to be as sure a bets as possible so that's why I choose to keep my shots really close.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Bigbulls, I practice to about 65 yards daily. Last year anything inside of 50 was fair game. This year I didn't get to shoot as much this summer so, 45 yards is my max. I don't take iffy shots, I'm definitely not an arrow slinger. It has to be for sure "I got this" kind of shot. Good question.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Only up to 25 yards ,only broadside or slight quartering away. If I am 100% sure ,only then do I let er fly
Old 09-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dkeener

Or is it a subconcious decision?...... Or is it just a "I can't miss at this range" sort of feeling?
Exactly!! If I have to guess my percentage of success on a certain shot , I have no shot!

Quick Reply: How do you decide when to .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.