Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 problem with my trusty cudde >

problem with my trusty cudde

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

problem with my trusty cudde

Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Default RE: problem with my trusty cudde

Any suggestions for preventing ants from invading the camera? I had one out of seven cuddietaken over by ants last year and got it working after using bug spray and tearing apart the camera to blow them out. I'll try the freezing trick this year if I get a repeat performance. The one camera I had over run by ants was on a tree I'd been using for 4 years now. No problems in prior years or after using the bug spray to clean it out.

But I'd prefer to prevent the critters from nesting in the camera. I'll be putting out my cameras over the 4th so I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: W9AR

Any suggestions for preventing ants from invading the camera? I had one out of seven cuddietaken over by ants last year and got it working after using bug spray and tearing apart the camera to blow them out. I'll try the freezing trick this year if I get a repeat performance. The one camera I had over run by ants was on a tree I'd been using for 4 years now. No problems in prior years or after using the bug spray to clean it out.

But I'd prefer to prevent the critters from nesting in the camera. I'll be putting out my cameras over the 4th so I'm open to any suggestions.
good question! i don't know of anything you can do to repell ants that won't spook deer, i.e. sprays and such. i just try to avoid any type of fruit tree's like persimmon tree's. this is where i had my ant problem. my only advice is don't hang your camera on any type of tree's that ants use as a food source or home.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Spike

check out this site. he has some good reviews on cuddebacks. I think i read where a big hole is in the bottom of the camera.

http://www.chasingame.com/theengineer_cuddeleakfix.htm that is a problem with the leaks. haha

here is the other reviews.

http://www.chasingame.com/ go to the camera review page and look up cuddebacks( or any other camera for that matter) .. you will be suprised. I know i was.

I thought cuddebacks were good. boy was i wrong. ( i own a i-40 and a stealth cam with no issues).
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Well the ants are back this year again on the same tree I had problems last year. I tried the freezer trick on the little buggers and problem was solved in an hour. Just had to shake out the eggs and dead bodies.

Camera works good as new though I lost all pictures since the ants constantly triggered the camera over the past three weeks and the batteries died. The Cuddiebacks don't like their batteries dieing as the menu options go into an infinate loop and makes the CF card unreadable (requires reformat)

Other posts said to avoid fruit trees and got me to thinking my problem is with sweet ants on maple trees. Seems this tree is leaking sap where the camera is screwed into the tree and thus attracting the little buggers to take up residence in the camera.

Lesson learned is to notattach to my cameras to maple trees.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of weird with the ants in my Cuddeback. I had a Hombrew camera mounted right above the Cudde on the same tree. Not one ant was in my Hombrew. They must not like the electronics in the Homebrew!