Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Can you have too many cams? >

Can you have too many cams?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Can you have too many cams?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you have too many cams?

The main property I hunt and feel secure with placing trail cams is only about 75 acres. Just over 20 of that is woods, with the rest being an abandoned pasture and sparsely wooded creeks. I currently run 3-4 camera on the property depending on how brave I am with the other place I hunt. I was thinking about getting a couple more cameras to put there. That would mean I could have as many as 6 on that 75 acres. Thats way too many, buy I have an addiction.

Do you think having that many cameras on a place could run or keep deer out?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can you have too many cams?

It all depends, around here i think the big bucks spook a little from trail cameras. If you keep them on day only (maybe just the new ones) they wont notice.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not the right person to answer this question. I currently have 8 game cams.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know when Dr James C. Kroll, who was responsible for forming and using some of the very earliest trail cam technology, conductedhis studies both in the wild and at Ft. Perry Plantation... they discovered that in most instances a single cam could cover up to or just exceeding 100 acres when located at reliable food sources, mineral sites, or along major funnel areas.I would suspect the number of cams you're already running on the property is WAY to many. Now, consider the disturbance of you checking them regularly and the fact that cam flashes are going off at all hours, I think you're putting a serious strain on any mature buck who would even think about living near that property. How many mature animals have you got REPEAT photos of ???Let the number of consistent, repeat photos answer you're question.I just wouldn't want to pressure such a small little tract as much as you are, especially if you're limited to the number of properties you can hunt. Goodluck
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

We have as many as 12 trail cameras out on 400 acres although they are not spaced out over the entire property and we've taken many repeat pictures of bucks up to 4 1/2 years old. I've had as many as three cameras on the same feeder and the does and bucks just keep coming back.

The only time we get single pictures of bucks is during the ramp up to the rut. We never know exactly what we're going to see during this time so it's an exciting time. If my memory serves me right, which it doesn't do too often, I'd say this is around late October to early November.