Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Trail Cam Trigger Speed >

Trail Cam Trigger Speed

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Cam Trigger Speed

Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail Cam Trigger Speed

is trail cam trigger speed more important than good cam placement? i keep hearing alot of people complaining about their camera's slow trigger speed causing them to miss alot of deer. i wonder how most people use their trail cams? common sense says if you have a trail running east and west, and you put your trail cam pointing straight across the trail facing north or south....you're going to miss some animals. if you don't have a $500.00 trail cam with a 1/4 second triggerspeed just aim your trail cam down the trail (point it in the same direction that the trail runs). or aim it over a scrape or rub, woolah, problem solved. just my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail Cam Trigger Speed

Some cameras with a slow trigger speed barely come on at all when it is cold out and if it is on a trail they might walk to far down the trailby the time it comes on, I have seen this many times other times they won't come on at all. To slow to power up a flash at night etc. Placeing it on a scrape aint good either if you want to push that deer away from the scrape.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

CamoCop trigger sped is important, but not at the speed you mentioned. Anything with a speed in the 2 second range (or faster) will work extreemly well at 90* to the trail. If your closer to the 4 second or longer, then you will need to adjust your setup and not place your camera at 90* but angle it up or down the trail to make the time your camera sees the animal longer.

No camera that I know of will take good pictures of animals that are running. That is getting the picture of the animal that actually triggerred the camera and not the second or third in the line. A running deer will be faster then any cameras speed.

I have 1.3 meg home brew with only $140 invested. But it is set up for extended time in the field, longerr battery life and it triggers at just over 3 seconds. My 2,0 meg camera will trigger near or under 1 second and I have less then $200 in it (another home brew). All of my camera are IR converted as well. You do not need a high price camera to be able to enjoy this hobby.

Hope this helped you.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

I recently purchased the Silent Image Primos game camera, it boasts a 1/10th of a second wake up trigger speed and can take up to 5 frames per second. Well the jury is still out as I have not had the time to fool with it yet but will try to get it out soon.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

common sense says if you have a trail running east and west, and you put your trail cam pointing straight across the trail facing north or south....you're going to miss some animals.
Remember east and west is where the sun rises and sets; meaning your camera will get nice pictures of the sun and not any animals you were trying to get a pictures of. Yes, placement is important on setting up your camera.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I recently purchased the Silent Image Primos game camera, it boasts a 1/10th of a second wake up trigger speed and can take up to 5 frames per second. Well the jury is still out as I have not had the time to fool with it yet but will try to get it out soon.
I look forward to your review, that camera has peeked my intrest. That's alot of money for one camera.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 AM

i would say it is
Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I sure hope that you are happy with that camera and that it preforms like you are lead to believe that it is ........ it sure is alot of money.

What I would be worried about is their wording of their statements. They say that it has a wake up time of a 1/10th of a second, but that is only part of the trigger speed. My 2.0 meg home built is always on (I am giving up some battery life for this), so the wake up time is faster then that but the trigger time is still near the 1 second mark. The camera (the working unit in the cam) is what determines trigger time. It takes time for a digital to see and then record the image. A digital is not like the 35mm cameras that record the image instantly, it is a process that requires time, that is the downfall of the digitals (but no developing costs).

Why are alot of the cameras slow to wake up, it is to save battery power. For night shots, it takes time to charge the light to full power unless you continue to refresh the power to the light to keep it at full charge. This requires some of your power supply to be used up for that purpose, but it is a trade off. Also in day time it takes some time to see image, focus and then record. There are some cameras that are almost instant like the Nikon D series that I know one has used in a trail cam, but at over $1 000 just for the camera and lens .......... but then again, the cost is just too much ........ but the pics I have seen with it are just awesome.

TexasOaks I believe that you misread CamoCop's post. He mentioned an east/west trail but having the camera point straight across it (I figure that means at 90*) so it would be either pointing north or south. North or south pointing cams will work best in most situations to avoid the sun glare.