HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trail Cam Trigger Speed
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail Cam Trigger Speed

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I recently purchased the Silent Image Primos game camera, it boasts a 1/10th of a second wake up trigger speed and can take up to 5 frames per second. Well the jury is still out as I have not had the time to fool with it yet but will try to get it out soon.
I sure hope that you are happy with that camera and that it preforms like you are lead to believe that it is ........ it sure is alot of money.

What I would be worried about is their wording of their statements. They say that it has a wake up time of a 1/10th of a second, but that is only part of the trigger speed. My 2.0 meg home built is always on (I am giving up some battery life for this), so the wake up time is faster then that but the trigger time is still near the 1 second mark. The camera (the working unit in the cam) is what determines trigger time. It takes time for a digital to see and then record the image. A digital is not like the 35mm cameras that record the image instantly, it is a process that requires time, that is the downfall of the digitals (but no developing costs).

Why are alot of the cameras slow to wake up, it is to save battery power. For night shots, it takes time to charge the light to full power unless you continue to refresh the power to the light to keep it at full charge. This requires some of your power supply to be used up for that purpose, but it is a trade off. Also in day time it takes some time to see image, focus and then record. There are some cameras that are almost instant like the Nikon D series that I know one has used in a trail cam, but at over $1 000 just for the camera and lens .......... but then again, the cost is just too much ........ but the pics I have seen with it are just awesome.

TexasOaks I believe that you misread CamoCop's post. He mentioned an east/west trail but having the camera point straight across it (I figure that means at 90*) so it would be either pointing north or south. North or south pointing cams will work best in most situations to avoid the sun glare.