Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Rechargeable D Cell Batteries >

Rechargeable D Cell Batteries

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Rechargeable D Cell Batteries

Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rechargeable D Cell Batteries

After spending $10 on 8 D Cell batteries at Walmart I decided that would get pretty expensive on an ongoing basis.

I've been looking at rechargeable batteries online and found some "Juice" brand NiMh batteries for $42 including shipping for 8 D Cell Batteries and the charger. I know on a regular digital camera the NiMh batteries last quite a bit longer than regular alkaline batteries, is the same true for digital game cameras? Looking around you can get up to 10,000 mAH rated rechargeable batteries and the "Juice" brand is only 7,000 mAH. The Juice ones would be fine if they last at least as long as regular alkaline batteries I think.

Anyone using rechargeable batteries on their game cameras?

Thanks for any comments or input.

Nathan
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rechargeable D Cell Batteries

I've used Energizer rechargeable D size batteries and C size batteries as well as the AA's. With the D and C size it depends on the camera. They lasted less than a week in our Cuddeback and about a week or two in the Bushnell, and Wildview cameras and they seemed to last longer in the Leaf River cameras. For some reason the rechargeables do not outperform the alkalines in these battery sizes and cameras.

On the other hand as you mentioned it is exactly opposite with the AA's.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

You ned to watch out for the rechargables that are on the marrket now. For AA you can get 2500-2700 MaH ratings. Most of the D cell rechargbles you can get will be actually the same rating as the AA @ 2700 MaH. In Otherwords it would last the same length as the AA would. The high rated D cell rechargables are very expensive (Aprox $18 for 2).

The regular Duracell (alkiline) D cell have a rating @ 12 000 Mah and for me personally, I can't see spending the extra on rechargables since you can't get long deployment periods with recharrgables anyway. They have a self discharge that will not let them be out longer then 2 months.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Those Energizer rechargeable D, I bet are only 2200mah,I use rechargeable 9000mah D's and 5000mah C's in my Leaf River and Cuddeback, never tested how long they will last but had them out over 4 weeks in 10 to 30 degree nights and 40 degree days with no problems. Picked them up on E-Bay, made by Tenergy. Be careful with chargers, not all will charge HI mah batteries.[/align]Good Luck[/align] Joe[/align]
Old 02-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

go out and buy a 6V car battery.... your camera will last a LONG time.... My buddy finally use my advice and went out and got one... camera was out for about 2 weeks in well below freezing temps took over 100 pics and battery level was still 100%
Old 02-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

The Energizers rechargeable D's are 2500 mah. I'll have to look into the Tenergy batteries.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Just brought my bothers steath cam in yesterday. He uses radio shack nicad d cell batteries anyways it has been on the tree 2 weeks and took 523 picturestemp. has been between 5-40 degreesthe battery still shows a full charge on the camera indicator
Old 02-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went ahead and bought the stealth 6v battery kit for $50. It comes out to about the same price as the rechargeable NiMh batteries would have and is also rechargeable.

I will probably buy some of the 7,000 mAH or 10,000 mAH D rechargeables for the bushnell camera I just bought. It only takes 4 D batteries and sounds like I will be replacing those monthly.