Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stealth cam and rechargeable batteries >

Stealth cam and rechargeable batteries

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stealth cam and rechargeable batteries

Old 02-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stealth cam and rechargeable batteries

I know there are quite a few people on here that have the stealth cam. In my opinion it is the best investment I've made outisde of my bow. It's like Christmas each time I go to walmart to get the pics developed. My question is, is there anyone that has had any success with rechargeable batteries in their cam? I used some one time and I went back to check the cam after two weeks and they were dead already. I think it's becuase they were the NiCD and they are supposed to be NiMH or vice versa. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stealth cam and rechargeable batteries

I use NiMH and they work awesome. Much better than regular batteries.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What brand do you use JamesVee?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using Energizer rechargeable NiMH batteries. They're silver in color, have some green writing and stuff on them. I've had these batteries last for more than a month at a time, as well go through multiple rolls when the weather is decent.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the kind I used too. When you buy them do you have to charge them? I guess I'm gonna have to give them another try this spring.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. I charged mine as soon as I got them. They lasted over a month, and have worked flawlessly down to -13 degrees. You know, I've heard a lot of complaints about the stealth cams on here but I've had minimal problems with mine, and I have two of them. The only "problem" I've had is with the rewind, and even then I manual rewind mine everytime I pick it up anyways. I may upgrade to a digital this next year, getting a little tired of developing film. Gets kind of expensive when you're bringing in 4+ rolls a week.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then that was the problem with mine. I never charged them before I put them in. I've never had problems with mine either. The only thing I've had is deer not being centered in the picture, but hopefully I fixed that when I put a half inch of tape on both sides of the sensore. I'll find out if it works in a couple months or so. I've also thought about switching to a digital. It would save me alot of money in the long run but I don't feel safe putting a $300 camera on a tree and leaving it for 3 weeks. Knowing my luck some yahoo would tresspass and stumble upon the camera and walk off with a new toy.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: titleist_03

It would save me alot of money in the long run but I don't feel safe putting a $300 camera on a tree and leaving it for 3 weeks. Knowing my luck some yahoo would tresspass and stumble upon the camera and walk off with a new toy.
I got a Stealth Cam for Christmas and am also concerned about someone stealing it. I had a shop build a metal frame that lapped over the front of the camera about an 1nch. Weld a "D" ring (or similar) on each side.

Then buy a Master cable lock. Install the camera on the tree normally, then place the frame over the camera, loop the cable through the "D" rings and around the tree, and lock the cable.

It is not foolproof, a good pair of bolt cutters can cut the cable (it's about 1/4 or 5/16 inch cable, with a plastic coating) But they would have to come prepared to take it, they couldn't just happen along and pick it up.

Don't know if this helps, but I too am concerned about loosing my cam.