Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Rechargeable Batteries? >

Rechargeable Batteries?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Rechargeable Batteries?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Spike

Default Rechargeable Batteries?

Anyone have any luck with rechargeable batteries in their game cameras?

I picked up 8 new Energizer 2450mAh batteries for my SG550. After throwing a full charge on them, I ended up with dead batteries after 7 days and only 15 one minute videos.

I was using standard Duracel or Energizers before. I don't recall exactly how long they lasted, but I know I was rarely changing them.

I thought the rechargeables might be a good way to save a few $$$. Maybe an external would have been a better option.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rechargeable Batteries?

That's all I use in my Reconyx cameras. I get about 2.5 months out of them in my cameras. Mine are the 5000ma Powermizer rechargeables. You may have some other issue going on. Maybe you did not get a full charge or chargers problems, just guessing.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's all I use in my Reconyx cameras. I get about 2.5 months out of them in my cameras. Mine are the 5000ma Powermizer rechargeables. You may have some other issue going on. Maybe you did not get a full charge or chargers problems, just guessing.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some rechargable ones and they only last about a week or two and not taking many photos. It seems that even if your charger says their charged, their not. Charge them a few times.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive used 6V rechargeables in my old Moultrie and 12V rechargeable in my Stealth. The 6V would last anywhere from 3 days to a week depending. And when the 12V would work, it would last around 2-3 weeks.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

How long rechargeable batteries last in trail cameras is highly variable in my experience. Some cameras operate great with them while others do not.

My rechargeable battery life experience with the SG550 is much better than you recieved although I did not have mine taking videos. I was using some of my oldest batteries and they lasted for several weeks in cold weather.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a way to hook up an external power supply, a cheap rechargeable 12 volt battery comes in a rechargeable spotlight from your local Wal-Mart. For $20 or so you can get the spotlight and then take it apart to get at the battery. The charger wire that comes with the spotlight fit perfectly into my trail cam, so I just cut it off and wired it directly to the battery and then hooked it up to the camera. Another cheap, but useful tool, is a 2 Amp charger from Wal-Mart. When the battery runs down, hook it up and give it a good charge.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

You didn't mention what size you use, but I have been using these now for 2 years without a problem. Great for cold weather use too. Here's the link for the Eneloops....
http://www.whitetailsupply.com/Batteries.html