Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

High or Low

Old 09-26-2004, 06:21 PM

Default High or Low

Which way do You hunt?? From a treestand or ground blind, I ask this question because this is My first season hunting with a recurve bow. I have 2 stands one of each.

P.S. Sorry I meant anywhere on the ground..( still/spot & stalk, Blind/anykind )
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: High or Low

I hunt the ground, but have only actually built a couple of ground blinds. I normally make use of natural cover as I still hunt or use the spot and stalk method. When I find a good spot above a funnel, trail or food plot/water hole, I'll set up there and wait them out. Depends on the conditions, time of year and area I'm in.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:56 AM

I primarily still hunt/spot and stalk.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:05 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I generally do both, depending on the situation. Most of the places I hunt are tree-stand spots, some are ground blind spots. Probably be hunting off the ground more this year due to the sore hoof. Problem here is, especially early season, there is so much green and it's so thick you can't see squat from the ground in most places. You have to be carful about what tree to pick, or clear out a hole, to see anything from a stand.

Chad
Old 09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I've gotten a bad back and bum knees, climbing a tree is right up toward the top of a long list of things I can't do any more. Not that I ever was much on treestand perching anyhow.

I do pretty much what Wahya does. Find myself a little natural hidey hole in a likely spot, set up and wait. If they don't get close enough, I'll leave my hiding spot and put a sneak on 'em. That's something you can't hardly do when you're perched 20-30' up in a treestand.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I always hunt from the ground because I don't exactly have the opportunity to hang and practice a from a treestand. Where I hunt, on public land, treestands are allowed to be hung, but must be taken down daily. It's also pretty thick through there without a lot of good trees to hang a stand in. There are some, but trimming is also illegal on public land so I can't open up any shooting lanes that aren't already there. Since I don't really shoot from one and can't leave one up I just stay on the ground. Problem is I move around too much when there's no action. So after finding a few good stand locations I'm considering trying some stand hunting to keep me still.

Brandan