Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How High? What to do? >

How High? What to do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How High? What to do?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How High? What to do?

I am from Idaho. Been hunting elk and mulies my whole life. Never whitetail. I recently transferred to Ludington Michigan with the Coast Guard. And I have decided to hunt out of a tree stand. I have some decent looking areas picked out already. But I am not really sure how high to put my new summit tree stand? This is a whole new world for me. I have been practicing at home at around 12 feet or so. Feels good at around that height. I am not sure if I will be able to sit in the stand ALL DAY though. I am a spot and stalk hunter.. This could be a very interesting year!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How High? What to do?

Welcome to Michigan, I am from Mid Michigan myself and have been to Ludington more then a few times. If you are practicing 12 feet and it feels good to you, then go for 12 feet. Its what ever you feel comfortable at. Have a great season, wear a safety harness, and sit still
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM

I like to get around 20 ft. Higher is better if you can take the heights. If cover in the area allows it, 12-15 ft. should be ok.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi Muliefever

At 12 feet your gonna get busted everytime , you'll have to get up alittle higher than that.
Anywhere from 16 to 20 will be ok , just make sure your stand doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
I've been hunting out of trees for a long time and I get up to 24 feet , as you gain more confidence in trees you'll be able to go a little higher.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Hi Muliefever

At 12 feet your gonna get busted everytime , you'll have to get up alittle higher than that.
Anywhere from 16 to 20 will be ok , just make sure your stand doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
I've been hunting out of trees for a long time and I get up to 24 feet , as you gain more confidence in trees you'll be able to go a little higher.
RD, in no way am I trying to question your experience(you have tons more then me, I'm sure), but when I was young I was scared of heights and hunted 12 feet for my first few seasons, I had great cover and did my best to cover my scent, and never got busted once, as a matter of fact I harvested my first deer 12 feet of the ground
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Spike

I've hunted between 10 to 12 feet for 6 years and have only been busted because of my ownmovement.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

I used to hunt 12 also a long time ago, then I tried 15, it was a little high for me, then I started going 18, then 20 which is where I feel is perfect. You'll get used to it. Buy good equipment and have 100% confidence in it and you'll find yourself going20 feet and not being scared. You just have to adjust to it. Do it in small increments.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally dont even consider a standard or setheight when setting up a stand. I'm looking for the best combination of cover and the least amount of cutting necasary for shooting lanes.