Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 aim low hit high? >

aim low hit high?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aim low hit high?

Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default aim low hit high?

last year i missed a very nice 8pt buck from my treestand. he was about 20 yards away and i was about 20 feet up in my climber....i put what i thought to be the correct pin on him, squeezed, and the arrow shaved his back above his lungs.....later that day i did the same thing on a doe from the same stand....one of the old guys at our hunting camp said when u shoot from a tree with a bowu have to aim lower than where you want to hit....is this true or is it time to just go buy a rangefinder? i know i had a lil buck fever but i kep it pretty well contolled and i am VERY god with my bow shootng 3D targets...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: aim low hit high?

It is true especially when the deer is so close.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:14 PM

This is why you should always practice from a treestand before season if you plan on hunting from one.

Know your equipment and how it handles before you take it into the woods.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Have to respectfully disagree...I took the advice of some members here on my only kill with a bow...doe at 15yds...I bent at the waist, maintaining a T shape from my waist up and hit exactly where I was aiming.

Bo
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

ok....ill practice shooting from a tree or raised deck to get used to it....thanks for the info guys......
Old 07-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

With my set up, I only need to aim an inch low at twenty yards. The main thing is to bend at the waist. I usually practice off my back deck during the summer to simulate shooting from my treestand.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Just remember;

Aim for the exit hole.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

It is very true - especially if you're zero'd in from shooting on the ground.
BUT - don't leave it to chance. Practice from an elevated position, so you'll know where you're hitting.
There is also another phenomenon that comes into play: from an elevated position, the kill zone is not as high as it is from a level position. You're looking at part of the deer's back,and the "side" of the deer appears several inches smaller than when you're looking directly at the side view.The point of entry you want is much lower on the deer's side than you are used to seeing from the level. In fact, if the deer is close enough, and you're high enough, you may not even be able to see that "sweet spot" behind the shoulder very well.
I always have a practice arrow with me when I go into my tree stand. If it's an evening hunt, I pick out a leaf on the ground about 20 yds out and shoot it as soon as I get settled into the stand. Pick it up as I go out. If it's a morning hunt, I shoot it just before I climb down. That way, I'm continuing to practice from THAT stand every time I go out.
NOTE: I also have a little sign taped to my riser right above the sight window that says, "Aim Low, Stupid!" (You might guess that I've "shaved" a few, too).
Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

Bend at the waist when aiming from a tree stand to keep the same form as when you're on the ground. If you drop your bow arm instead of bending at the waist, it'll make you shoot high. Test it out, I did.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Like washington said, aim for where you want the arrow to come OUT.

Quick Reply: aim low hit high?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.