Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 cracked fiber glass question >

cracked fiber glass question

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

cracked fiber glass question

Old 07-13-2004, 03:45 PM

Default cracked fiber glass question

I went to a garage sale and found a Ben Pearson take down recurve. It is the one with the aluminum knunkles and pin. The bow is rated at 46 pounds at 28 inches. The bow has a crack in the fiberglass in the middle of the belly on the lower limb. It does not come out to the edge. Otherwise the bow is in good condition. I haven't strung the bow or shot it yet, but I don't think that the crack is a problem. What do you think? Oh, I paid $20 for the bow.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cracked fiber glass question

If it's running lengthwise, I doubt it'll be any problem. I'd get some liquid super glue - not the gel - and flow some into the crack to seal it up.

Then, string it up and check the tiller to make sure the cracked limb isn't way weaker than the good one. If it passes that test then you can go on to drawing a few times.

Do the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full draw routine a few times to work the limbs. Be extra careful to listen for cracking sounds. If it passes that test, then you can go on and shoot it, still being careful to listen and watch for any signs of breakage.

If it holds up for a couple dozen shots, the bow will probably be fine.

Wish I could find a bow at a garage sale. Everybody else keeps stumbling across them instead of ME! [&o] IT'S MY TURN, DANGIT!![&:]
Old 07-14-2004, 08:04 AM

Default RE: cracked fiber glass question

Ditto what Arthur said. Congrats on the find. Hope it works out for you.

=keith=